• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom importing from a catalogue says files are missing

New Here ,
May 01, 2017 May 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been working on creating a master lightroom catalogue on my mac desktop by exporting files as catalogues from my macbook to the backup drive(WD) which holds the photographs for both computers.  I have finished exporting and have been importing as a catalogue to my mac desktop with no problem, but now it has starting saying .....

Screen Shot 2017-05-01 at 8.54.08 PM.png

No matter what boxes are checked or unchecked it will not allow me to import.  Also the files are not missing, they are still in the same folder.  I tried to re-export from my macbook,restart lightroom multiple times,  restart the computer(desktop), and double checked that the pathway is the same as the other catalogues I have already successfully imported to the master catalogue.  I cannot even move on to a new catalogue because every catalogue I try now says the files are missing.  I'm at a loss!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 02, 2017 May 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It clearly states 32 files are missing. Maybe you didn't export the image files with the catalog? Just because they are in the LR Database file, IE the catalog file, doesn't mean those file actually exist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No they are not missing from the lightroom catalog I exported from

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The files are not in the location Lightroom expects them to be in. So they cannot be used. To fix the problem, please follow these instructions: Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders (You do this in the catalog that is supposed to have the photos, not the catalog you are importing into)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are not missing in the from the lightroom catalog I exported from

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well @KiwiDoctor, Lightroom doesn't agree, Lightroom says the photos are missing; and so until we figure out why Lightroom thinks the photos are missing, we won't be able to make progress.

So please launch the catalog that you exported from, and see if there are photos with exclamation point icons (as shown in the document I linked to) on the photos, or question mark icons on the folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using lightroom for 4 years I know what the exclamation point on photos means and it's not there on any of the photos.  If it was there I would know exactly what to do.  Also there were no errors when exporting the catalogue.  So I don't understand why lightroom is doing this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason they aren't there. Is there any chance they are on an external drive that isn't attached and you are working with smart previews?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's weird! They are on an wireless external drive (WD).  That drive is attached with lightroom on my macbook and mac desktop. I checked my histogram and it says original photo on all images so I'm not working with a smart previews.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see this as well but have never been bothered by it - never checked for the "missing files".

I guess you have tried the 'Find All Missing Files' under the Library drop down menu???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm confused by your question.  The files aren't missing on my macbook.  Lightroom will not let me import the catalogue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was meaning this:

Screen Shot 2017-05-02 at 6.57.45 PM.png

But why are you exporting all of the catalogs and importing them??? What are you trying to achieve??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bc I have lightroom on multiple computers and am creating one master catalogue for easy searching.  That's already checked, photos aren't missing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2017-05-02 at 12.37.02 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-05-02 at 12.37.15 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-05-02 at 12.37.27 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-05-02 at 12.37.43 PM.png

Photos are not missing, the backup drive is connected, I am working with the original files, and there was absolutely no errors when exporting as a catalogue from my macbook. All screen shots are from my macbook. So any solutions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2017 May 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I have no idea..... why this is occurring. It could be to do with the paths on the different Macs but I'm not big on that stuff.

But as to why you are doing this.

I have Lightroom on different Macs as I am on the road and currently posting this from Gulu, Uganda..

My system is this:

Archived files are kept on a 10TB Promise drive in New Zealand. The files are cataloged in a Master Catalog with standard and smart previews. This catalog along with my working catalog (two years worth) are on a LaCie 2TB thunderbolt drive.

Image files for the working catalog are on several drives that travel with me and usually I have just the latest connected - these are all USB3 drives as access speed is not that important.

With this I can just plug the LaCie and the other drives into any computer with Lightroom and I am away.... with me currently I have two MBP's and use either one .......

Hope that helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2017 May 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for you're input, I've done something similar in the past.  I'm just looking to condense even more and trying to clear lightroom catalogues off of my laptop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines