Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Generate stroke effect isn't working

Explorer ,
May 02, 2017 May 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am trying to create the write-on effect with Generate stroke effect over letters (letters have been converted to shapes) and when draw out my path it's not visible, it's just an empty path. Same thing happens if I use Write-on effect from the effects & presets menu.

see screenshot below. In all the tutorials that i've watched, the path takes on the stroke qualities that's in the effect, e.g. 2px white line. Here it's just empty path ☹ . Any ideas what's going on? I am using AE 2017

Thank you!Screen Shot 2017-05-02 at 12.21.09 PM (2).png

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 02, 2017 May 02, 2017

Well, I am not trying to animate the stroke. I am trying to reveal the letters like in this tutorial:

revealing = animating a stroke set to reveal.

to reveal a path with the stroke effect the method is this:

1. you create an open path with the pen tool on your layer. the layer does not need to be a shape layer, you can leave it as text.

if it is a shape layer, the pen tool and parametric shapes tool default to creating shapes and not masks. so you will create another instance of a shape group with

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Silly question here, but did you move further along the timeline to see if the effect starts?

Apologies ahead if you did.  Just asking.

Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just did and nothing changed. There aren't any keyframes yet. Usually the stroke appears as soon as you start making the path, without any keyframes even. But not in my case. ;(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not at my PC at home at the moment but I'm seeing a shape layer.   It's been a while since I did the stroke but does it appear as a shape layer or should it just be a mask.

Trying to think through this in my head.

Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, this is an effect that creates the "write-on" effect for letters. The letter is a shape layer and then the path that you're seeing is supposed to be a mask. But it's not a regular mask. It's supposed to be visible when you just draw it, and then you choose "reveal original" or smth in the effect drop down, and it makes the text disappear/appear. The thickness of the stroke is what's becoming the mask. And I have 0 thinkness of the stroke, thus, the effect isn't working. When I click "reveal original" my letter just disappears and nothing happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

masha_44  wrote

Well, this is an effect that creates the "write-on" effect for letters. The letter is a shape layer and then the path that you're seeing is supposed to be a mask.

There's your problem.  Instead of using either the Write-On or Stroke effects (hard to tell which you're using, put a stroke on that shape layer and animate the Trim Path property in the shape layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I am not trying to animate the stroke. I am trying to reveal the letters like in this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJJhL7BLxjo

Animation: "Write-on" Text Effect - YouTube

If I just add a stroke to the shape layer it will go around the shape, won't it?

I suppose I can just create a separate shape layer with a stroke, use trim paths and use THAT as an alpha matte, but I just don't understand why this method isn't working for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I am not trying to animate the stroke. I am trying to reveal the letters like in this tutorial:

revealing = animating a stroke set to reveal.

to reveal a path with the stroke effect the method is this:

1. you create an open path with the pen tool on your layer. the layer does not need to be a shape layer, you can leave it as text.

if it is a shape layer, the pen tool and parametric shapes tool default to creating shapes and not masks. so you will create another instance of a shape group with a stroke and not a mask. you can change the behavior by clicking here when either the pen tool or parametric shapes tool are selected

2. apply the stroke effect. it will use mask 1 by default

3. increase the brush size, make sure it covers all the layer

4. set paint style to "reveal original image"

5. animate start and end to your satisfaction

I suppose I can just create a separate shape layer with a stroke, use trim paths and use THAT as an alpha matte

yes you can

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, ok, I don't know what I did, but now it's working. I think it was a combination of changing the thickness of the brush to be really fat and making sure "mask 1" is selected. But I swear I checked all that before. ugh.

Thanks everyone for your input!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you got to figured it out buddy!

Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!   So am I

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2019 Oct 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try This:

1: Create a text

2: Select the "Pen Tool" then draw a line or trace the part of text that you wish to reveal/animate a stroke animation

3: Search for "Stroke" effect then apply it to the text

4: Change path to the mask which you created the line (normally it would be Mask 1)

5: Change "On Original Image" to "Reveal Original Image"

6: Now play around with keyframes "Start" or "End" to your likings

7: Profit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines