• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I apply a channel as a layer mask?

Enthusiast ,
May 02, 2017 May 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my document I have a layer L and a channel C.  How can I apply C as the layer mask for L?  I want direct way to do it that does not go through an intermediate selection.  Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , May 03, 2017 May 03, 2017
  1. create a blank, white mask on your layer.
  2. make sure the mask is selected.
  3. go to Image > Apply Image.
  4. select the channel you want from the channel dropdown.
  5. click ok.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ctrl click the alpha channel before applying the layer mask, or creating a new Adjustment Layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but that goes through an intermediate selection.  Selections drop the bit depth to 8-bit.  Masks are 16-bit.  I want everything to be done in 16 bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
May 03, 2017 May 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. create a blank, white mask on your layer.
  2. make sure the mask is selected.
  3. go to Image > Apply Image.
  4. select the channel you want from the channel dropdown.
  5. click ok.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An easier alternative is to copy the entire image, alt + click mask to target, and paste.

The problem with Apply Image is that you need two extra clicks in the dialog. If you need a luminosity mask on an adjustment layer, it's not even actionable, because you have to select the specific adjustment layer.

This is when laziness kicks in and you just load a luminosity selection instead (either ctrl + RGB channel, or easier, ctrl + alt + 2).

I must confess I often do this, and the bit depth be damned. With a modest adjustment it shouldn't make much of a difference, but more severe adjustments should really be with a 16 bit mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's it!  Thanks.  The Apply Image dialog is a bit confusing but I think I get it.  Setting Blend mode = Normal will replace whatever the mask currently contains, whether it's black, white, or something else.  That's the behavior I wanted.  With a blend mode other than Normal, the selected channel will combine with whatever's currently in the mask according to the blend mode.  For example, Multiply will darken whatever's currently in the mask and Screen will lighten.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines