Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reverse shape layer path direction

New Here ,
May 03, 2017 May 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

I have a shape layer that has a number of groups within it. Each group is a simple shape whose path animates. For instance I have a triangle that animates into a different shaped triangle for instance. I've created a keyframe for position 1 and then pasted the path for the triangle's 2nd position. It animates between them as you would expect. I've set the first vertex as the same point on both keyframes, so I expected it to be flawless. However. I'm having a problem with the path direction as it seems to be swapping over the direction of the path. Vertex 2 is becoming vertex 3 and vertex 3 is becoming vertex 2.

In AE, the reverse path direction button does nothing if I swap that before I copy and paste the path.

I've redrawn the objects in Illustrator (in both directions).

There is a swap path direction option in Illustrator but as far as I understand it, that's purely for compound paths.

Any ideas gratefully listened to

Russ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 03, 2017 May 03, 2017

There is a swap path direction option in Illustrator but as far as I understand it, that's purely for compound paths.

illustrator definition of compound path is irrelevant since this works for paths that don't have a hole it it too. proceed as follows: in illustrator, right click on the object that contains the path->make compound path. now in the attributes panel you can reverse the direction once you set it to non zero winding rule.

now copy paste back to the path parameter.

more about this techn

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
May 03, 2017 May 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

illustrator definition of compound path is irrelevant since this works for paths that don't have a hole it it too. proceed as follows: in illustrator, right click on the object that contains the path->make compound path. now in the attributes panel you can reverse the direction once you set it to non zero winding rule.

now copy paste back to the path parameter.

more about this technique here: https://www.provideocoalition.com/managing_moving_masks/

"After Effects does not allow you to directly change a mask path’s direction, but there are a couple of workarounds. The time-honored one is to use Illustrator to change it. In After Effects, you will need to select just the keyframe for the mask shape (not the shape itself, nor the entire layer). Copy, and then paste this shape into an Illustrator document. Then press Command+8 on Mac (Control+8 on Windows) in Illustrator to convert it into a Compound Shape. If needed, use the Reverse Path Direction buttons in Illustrator’s Attributes palette (although the simple act of enabling Compound Paths in Illustrator 10 will give you the reversed result). Then copy the shape in Illustrator, return to After Effects, make sure the Mask Shape keyframe is still selected, and paste."

Don't you just love the Meyer's?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 09, 2022 Nov 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is so frustrating, Adobe! How can we get Adobe to make After Effects have the ability to... 

directly change a mask path’s direction

???

https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects-bugs/impossible-to-fix-a-reversed-path-on-a-morph-witho...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines