• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop no longer loading any files after recent update? (03/05/17)

Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2017 May 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I just updated Photoshop as a matter of course as I booted up this morning, it had something new it was offering before I could launch after all so 'why not?' I thought.

All my old PSD files however are failing to load as it presents me with a pure black screen rather than the usual mosaic of images I work with. I resorted to reinstalling multiple times, purging my user settings (which is going to be a JOY to reset of course), all to no avail.

So what's up Adobe?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 03, 2017 May 03, 2017

Hey guys, I found  fix!

I just got mine fixed. What you have to do is open up "Creative Cloud" app and find "FIND ADDITIONAL APPS" > "Previous Version" then select the tab "Install" next to "Photoshop" and select 18.01 or 18.0 and the app will downgrade your Photoshop to that version. I got mine to work just now by doing that, I hope it is a help for you too.

In deeper detail the original post is here> Install a previous version of any Creative Cloud application

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does turning off »Use Graphics Processor« in the Performance Preferences (Photoshop > Preferences > Performance > Graphic Processor Settings) and restarting Photoshop have any bearing on the issue?

What have you done for trouble-shooting so far?

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html

So what's up Adobe?

This is a user Forum, so you are not really addressing Adobe here, even though some Adobe employees thankfully have been dropping by.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No change from unchecking the graphics processor box.

The program has been running perfectly fine until the recent update hit, pretty much my entire system is up to par. I'll check if Nvidia has snuck some new drivers down the pipe I can try though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No change from unchecking the graphics processor box.

Did you restart Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can start new files, and it works perfectly normal. It's just that it won't load things, including new files created after the update hit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post screenshots?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the only thing I see when I boot up the program, or tell it to load any old file, old picture, or anything at all for that matter.

PS screenshot.png

It just sits like this endlessly, unless you create a new file, which it can subsequently not load.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly the same happened to me yesterday after the update, I made a thread about it as well, but nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the invisible files listed under Window > …?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It can't load any files regardless of where they are, even if I just drag a picture down from the internet to make a temporary file. It doesn't respond and the workspace remains a pure black rectangle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

R-click one of those files that will not open and see if it is associated with PS

Open with default program should be PS.

If not change it in the windows OS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No difference, Photoshop is still utterly unresponsive when I try to open literally anything, flat images or multi-layered PSD alike. I can copy-paste a flat image onto a new file created within Photoshop, but there's no response when told to load up anything directly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before re-installing you may want to use the Cleaner Tool:

Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems

If all else fails you could re-install an old Photoshop version …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys, I found  fix!

I just got mine fixed. What you have to do is open up "Creative Cloud" app and find "FIND ADDITIONAL APPS" > "Previous Version" then select the tab "Install" next to "Photoshop" and select 18.01 or 18.0 and the app will downgrade your Photoshop to that version. I got mine to work just now by doing that, I hope it is a help for you too.

In deeper detail the original post is here> Install a previous version of any Creative Cloud application

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Downgrading did work, thankfully.

I guess I'll have to wait until they iron out the weirdness in the next passing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad to hear it @niklasr5717753

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may want to uninstall PS

Reboot machine and reinstall.

Something obviously is buggered up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got the exact same problem as niklasr57177753. I completely uninstalled my Photoshop and got rid of all the leftover files after which I rebooted and reinstalled Photoshop. Problem still exists same as before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have reinstalled the app two times already, though admittedly not uninstall -> Reboot -> Reinstall. I'll try that and see if it makes any difference

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines