• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to remove indesign defaults and saved data?

Explorer ,
May 03, 2017 May 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi,

for a long time I'm having trouble with indesign not showing the square boxes in the layers panel next to the individual items on that layer. so there is no way to select or move things there...

the last thing I can think of, is to remove the indesign defaults and the saved data MANUALLY (because people warn if you do the CMD+CTRL+OPTION+SHIFT-combination while restarting indesign).

I'm working with CS 2017 and my system is OS X 10.11.6.

but where are these 2 (hidden) files now???

I look in my creative cloud start up panel and also searched in the library of my computer.

no way I can find them.

when will adobe have a simple script or a simple way to solve this without having to dig somewhere for hidden files.... and having a lot of risk to loose personal shortcuts etc.

please help.

thanks,

karien

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 03, 2017 May 03, 2017

Hi Karien:

The two files are in different folders. Both start with Opt + Go > Library. Then head to Preferences for InDesign Defaults, and to Caches for InDesign SavedData.

Finderss_001.pngFinderss_002.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Try this? Troubleshooting 101: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences

Just a brief portion from the above page..

InDesign Defaults:

Macintosh: Hard Drive/Users/<USER>/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/<Version #>/<Language>/(Note: Prior to version 6 [CS4] the language folder is not used).

InDesign SavedData:

Macintosh: Hard Drive/Users/<USER>/Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign/<Version #>/<Language>/ (Note: Prior to version 6 [CS4] the language folder is not used).

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi aman,

I read that one too, but in my combination of OS X 10.11.6 and CC2017, it does not seem to be located there any longer???

or am I completely wrong??

anyone?

thanks!

karien

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Did you also try to navigate by pressing the Alt key and from the menu Go > Library?

Then following the path as above...

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi Aman,

yes, indeed.

there I can only find the 'indesign defaults', but not the 'indesign saved date'. it seems that both are to be deleted... no?

greetings,

karien

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Cleaning this folder

• /Users/[User Name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/Version #

should help you solve your issue!

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Karien:

The two files are in different folders. Both start with Opt + Go > Library. Then head to Preferences for InDesign Defaults, and to Caches for InDesign SavedData.

Finderss_001.pngFinderss_002.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 04, 2017 May 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thanks both of you!!

I found the files, threw them away and now my squares in the layers panel are back.

thanks a million,

have a nice day,

karien

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines