• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changes made in master page not being applied to document

Explorer ,
May 02, 2017 May 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've formatted a lengthy book, which is comprised of separate documents (which are chapters).

One of the master pages contains large type that says "Chapter ___," with a text variable that shows the chapter number, and a text box below, where the text of the chapter begins. When the book is compiled, all works perfectly, with text flowing from page to page, the chapter numbers flowing sequentially, and the page numbers doing the same.

I now want to adjust the spacing between the chapter heading and the first line of text. I figured out how to edit the master page, and I adjusted the size of the text box where the "Chapter" is typed, and the text box where the chapter text goes. However, when I go into the actual page of the document, although I can see the new margins for both text boxes, the text hasn't moved. (I.e., I resized the box containing the text of the chapter so it's upper edge is about a half-inch higher on the page.)

Shouldn't the text move?

Thanks.

Ken

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , May 03, 2017 May 03, 2017

Rob,

I've tried your suggestion, but to no avail. I suspect that when I originally set up the document, there's a setting I mishandled.

However, I've found a work around, though it means going into 55 documents one by one. In the first chapter, I resized the box that contains the first-page text, and I noted the Y and H settings for the resized box. Then, opening each document one by one, I'm selecting the relevant first-page text box, and entering the new Y and H coordinates. The text moves up to

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,
May 03, 2017 May 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The top of the text frame is higher, but the text isn't. Is that correct? If so, it could be that the text frame is set to bottom alignment, or maybe the text is locked to a baseline grid. Just guesses, of course. Can you post a screen shot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the text hasn't moved. (I.e., I resized the box containing the text of the chapter so it's upper edge is about a half-inch higher on the page.)

When you released the master page item on the live pages to add content did you change its x,y or w,h position? Even a slight nudge and it would no longer respond to a position change from the master.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neither of these (Migintosh nor Rob) seems to apply. However, I think I may have found the problem. But I don't know how to fix it. (Please keep in mind that I'm a newbie, and what I describe below may have nothing whatsoever to do with the issue!)

It looks like when I created the document, I checked the "Primary Text Frame" tick box (which I believe takes up the whole page). Then when I created the master page, I created a text box (dragging out a rectangle) that takes up the bottom part of the page.

When I later applied the master to a page and pasted text into it (with the cursor at the top corner of the smaller text box), is the text going into the smaller box or is it going into the "primary text box"? Because, as my OP says, when I resize the smaller box in the master, the text doesn't move.

FWIW, in the master, I've selected the smaller box and clicked to "make this story the primary's text flow," but that does nothing.

To test things, I created a new document and did NOT check the Primary Text Frame tick box. Then created a master page and dragged out a box and pasted text in. In that case, when I re-sized the box on the master page, the text moved with the re-sized box.

So, to my uninformed mind, it appears that in my actual document. (that is, about 50 documents comprising chapters in a book), the text seems to have been pasted not in the smaller text box created in the master page, but in the "primary text box," the size of which is not affected when I re-size the smaller box in the master page.

Is there anything I can do without reformatting the entire project?

Many, many thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A primary text frame is automatically release on the live pages and has its own icon with an arrow.  Here the primary text frame is indicated by its icon when it is selected and there are also MP items indicated by the dotted frame outlines. A released MP item has a solid outline.

Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 8.47.09 AM.png

You might find this thread on primary frames useful:

Re: Can someone help demystify how primary text frames actually work?

Is there anything I can do without reformatting the entire project?

If your text is consistently in the primary frame you should be able to move it and delete the unused text frame on the masters:

So my primary textflow filled with text:

Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 8.57.05 AM.png

On the master page, the left page's primary frame resized and the unused MP item deleted

Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 8.58.10 AM.png

The updated page:

Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 8.58.18 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Rob,

I've tried your suggestion, but to no avail. I suspect that when I originally set up the document, there's a setting I mishandled.

However, I've found a work around, though it means going into 55 documents one by one. In the first chapter, I resized the box that contains the first-page text, and I noted the Y and H settings for the resized box. Then, opening each document one by one, I'm selecting the relevant first-page text box, and entering the new Y and H coordinates. The text moves up to the new upper edge, and the text from the following pages flows up appropriately.

If I create a new book from scratch, I'll be more careful of the initial settings and try them out on the first few chapters before diving in all the way.

Thanks again for you help.

Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines