• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Motion Graphics Templete with Symbols

Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2017 May 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm creating  a motion graphic template in after effects that includes the $ symbol.  but every time the Symbol takes the font size of the text. Is there a simple way to create it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 03, 2017 May 03, 2017

Now hold on there! you can do something with expressions. after some digging I found a Dan Ebberts post that utilizes the RectAtTime expression, and revised it just a tiny bit:

1234.gif

the text layer is called Numbers

for the dollar sign (change the gap to suit your needs):

gap = -520;

L = thisComp.layer("Numbers");

rect = L.sourceRectAtTime(time,false);

x = L.toComp([rect.left,0])[0];

[x-gap-width/2,value[1]]

for the source text:

effect("Counter")("Slider")

for the slider:

Math.round(value)

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
May 02, 2017 May 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not understand your question. Could you please explain in more detail? Screenshots might help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2017 May 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey this are the screenshots from AE and Premiere. What I'm looking for, is that the $ symbol keeps the size and position related to the numbers.

Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 11.40.47 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 11.43.22 AM.png

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make two separate layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That doesn't work, the idea is that I can modify the number with the $ symbol without repositioning the symbol and without changing the scale

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can have your $ symbol on one layer and modify the number with the $ being on a separate layer. If you want the size to be different, they have to be on different layers.

If you really, really want to keep them all on the same layer, you could use text animators and an expression selector to change the tracking and size of the $ symbol...

But, really, making it two different layers will probably be easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now hold on there! you can do something with expressions. after some digging I found a Dan Ebberts post that utilizes the RectAtTime expression, and revised it just a tiny bit:

1234.gif

the text layer is called Numbers

for the dollar sign (change the gap to suit your needs):

gap = -520;

L = thisComp.layer("Numbers");

rect = L.sourceRectAtTime(time,false);

x = L.toComp([rect.left,0])[0];

[x-gap-width/2,value[1]]

for the source text:

effect("Counter")("Slider")

for the slider:

Math.round(value)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To keep things simple use a monospaced font. The way the distance between characters is always constant. That's what you typically use for counters so the numbers don't jump around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thanks Rick. good point. this is a monospaced font (Lucida Console) so I think that's the bare minimum distance shift you can get. maybe the expression could be refined further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it appears that different size in the same text is not supported. I see that other formatting options are not supported too such as kerning. anything based on a single letter in a text is not supported it seems. it kinda makes sense why this would not work, because changing the text means changing the relationships between letters. I see why for counters and numbers this should seem like it could work. you will have to change your setup in a way that the symbol and the text will be with different property controllers or some other creative solution.

BTW, if looks like if you want to check if it works - just change the text in Ae's property controller and see if it returns to default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines