Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Footage Won't Relink!

Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2017 May 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I had a problem with relinking even just one bit of footage but it was due to the latest update crashing, I have installed cc 2017 just before the latest update and i can relink footage again.

The problem i am having is that AE is not auto finding the other footage which is still in the same folder as before just under a different name.

I have about 1,500 images to relink (Timelapse) and my deadline is friday! Any help or suggestions would be amazing!

Thanks,

Joe

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 04, 2017 May 04, 2017

Here: Private video on Vimeo

Password is 1234

This shows me linking one picture, I then show that the original path is exactly the same as the other pics and that the new path for every pic is the same still.

No joy with the autorelink.

Thanks,

Joe

it looks like the bug. I found the thread with the same issue: Re: After Effects 2017 won't batch replace. this issue started with CC2017 and was apparently only fixed in 14.2 which you can't seem to use. so why are you showing us video capture of you using

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
May 03, 2017 May 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not just import your timelapse as an image sequence?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2017 May 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply, It was imported as one originally in Premiere, things got messed up through Dynamic link and now my AE project shows every individual picture. I just dont understand why AE can't locate every picture when i find one as they are all in the same folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

are the source files with the same names as when this project was created? if so, this should work when you refer the replace footage to the proper path.

are you using 14.2? I have seen this happen with jpegs. this is supposed to be fixed in the latest release: Bug fixes in the April 2017 update to After Effects CC (version 14.2)

• Multiple missing JPEG files are again re-linked simultaneously when you choose Replace Footage for a missing file, if all missing JPEG files can be found in relative paths.

also, how is this footage setup? there is a replace source function in Ae right in the project panel. you can re-import the files, then replace with holding Alt and dragging new over the old right in the project panel (not one by one of course, I imagine the stills are in a precomp or are a sequence)

if this does not solve your problem show us the setup with a few screenshots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Roei,

Yes all source files are exactly as they were from the start. Only difference is that the folder is called something else.

Thanks for the info.

14.2 crashes whenever i try to link a file. Earlier versions will replace one file but they won't auto link the rest.

Due to there being almost 1500 files, the alt click trick may not work well for me.

I will try to get some screenshots when I can.

Thanks,

Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

14.2 crashes whenever i try to link a file.

it appears you at the mercy of this bug until you solve this crash. what version are you using then?

Due to there being almost 1500 files, the alt click trick may not work well for me.

what is the 1500 files setup in your composition? each one is a frame? if there isn't an elaborate setup for these files, you could easily import the files a second time as a sequence or even as stills and sequence the layers and recreate the setup. then replace the new composition for the old. in the screenshots be sure to show us how you setup your project

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess it seems i do

I have tried 2015.3 onwards and every version works the same way without the crash except for the newest version.

Each file is a jpg, not imported as a sequence as they were automatically imported from Premiere as a 'Replace with AE Comp'

This was a fairly older project so I hadn't been organising my files properly then. I have learnt from those mistakes already but they are coming back to haunt me in this scenario!

Thanks again,

Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try CC2015.2 aka CC2015 and see if it works there. and those screenshots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Password is 1234

This shows me linking one picture, I then show that the original path is exactly the same as the other pics and that the new path for every pic is the same still.

Thanks,

Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cripes, don't even fart around with it right now.  Use a workaround.  Get the job done.

Import the footage as an image sequence.  Adjust the frame rate as necessary in the Interpret Footage settings.  Use the Replace Footage command to put it in the comp.

No, you SHOULDN'T have to do that.  But which do you prefer -- having to jump though a couple of extra hoops or having the project DONE?

Figure out what's wrong after you're done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Password is 1234

Thanks,

Joe

it looks like the bug. I found the thread with the same issue: Re: After Effects 2017 won't batch replace. this issue started with CC2017 and was apparently only fixed in 14.2 which you can't seem to use. so why are you showing us video capture of you using CC2017 and not 2015.3? this bug should not happen in 2015.3 because it involves the new jpegimporter. try 2015.3.

if you are in CC2017, you will have to save as -> save a copy as (13) to open you cc2017 in 2015.3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2017 May 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Import the footage as an image sequence.  Adjust the frame rate as necessary in the Interpret Footage settings.  Use the Replace Footage command to put it in the comp.

This wouldn't be doable with the amount of footage I have going into different precomps. Some of them pause on a certain frame and i have a stop motion kind of zoom and pan to give the effect that there are more frames than there are. I'm afraid the only option for me is to get every jpg path changed. I appreciate your idea though!

if you are in CC2017, you will have to save as -> save a copy as (13) to open you cc2017 in 2015.3

I will give this a go. Thanks, I had got the versions mixed up and have indeed only tried it in 2017 as i wasn't aware of the save copy as 13 function.

I did to change the format from importerjpeg to jpeg but that box is greyed out for some reason.

Will update later on today if 2015.3 works. Thanks guys!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good, let us know how it turns out.

the import as jpeg did not work for Op in the thread I posted, but if you want to try you have to do it exactly like the screenshots.

I'd also take care of that 2017 update crash when this project is over. separate post and we'll try to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You absolute legend! 2015.3 works and finds all of the images!

It seems that 2017 (14.2) is just really bugged. It always seems to crash so hopefully we'll expect some updates soon.

Problem solved, many thanks Roei!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Silly question but since the files are in the same folder but with a different name couldn't you just rename the folder back to its original name? Granted it's not a solution to the general issue of AE's relinking not working for you but since you're on a deadline this seems like the most expedient solution unless I'm missing something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Logical question, but unfortunately not. The reason I haven't is because aswell as it being a different name, I have had to restructure the folders so it's not as much of a mess as it was for the client.

If all fails i'm going to have to try to get it back to how it was and deliver it packaged all messy.

Cheers,

Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines