• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects Preview and Render Crash (tested on CS6, CC15, CC17)

Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2017 May 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, this is my first post on this forum. I have a very important question, I hope there is a solution right here. My Adobe After Effects keep crash when I hit space button (previews), i don't know what's happen, but AE in my PC works like charm, no Previews and Render problem. Please help me, My creativity stopped because all of those bugs

I'm using HP Pavillion ab127tx laptop.

Specs :

Processor Core i5-6200U 2.3 (up to 2.7) GHz

RAM 4GB DDR3L 1600 MHz

GPU Nvidia GT940m 2GB (Updated to the newest driver)

Screen Res. 13 inch, 1366x768

OS Windows 10 Pro x64 (Updated to the newest Windows update)

Quicktime version 7.7.9

My PC Specs :

Processor Core i5-4460 3.4 GHz

RAM 4GB DDR3 1600 MHz

GPU Nvidia GT730 2GB DDR3

Screen Res. 19,5 inch, 1600x900

OS Windows 8.1

Quicktime version 7.7.9

Uses Avast Premier Antivirus on Both (Laptop & PC)

In My Laptop, I've already tested the CS6, CC 2015.2, and CC 2017.0 version. But none of those software works well. It'll always show the same bugs, Preview and Render bugs. I've seen a lot of tutorial to fix the bugs on the internet (Google, Youtube, etc), but I think nobody has a bugs like my AE bugs. In my PC, I'm using AE CS6, and I don't even see the "AE has stopped working" dialog. I'm working with .MOV file that recorded with Nikon D3300. Video bitrate is 24Mbps. But I think that's not a problem, because I don't even see the error dialog on my AE CS6 in My PC. Is there a problem on Hardware ? or is there a problem in Windows 10 ? My AE settings (all version) has a default settings, I'm not change anything.

Please help me, I have to work with AE.

I'm waiting for your answer.

Sorry for my bad English, I'm still learning.

Regards,

Farhan Azwir

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 15, 2017 May 15, 2017

Hi there! Thanks for your answer!

I just figured out why AE keep getting error in my laptop!

The problem is I changed the default graphics processor for applications to High performance Nvidia Graphics. Now, I changed it back to Auto-select, so, if I run Adobe software that doesn't support GPU, it will automatically run the application with the Integrated Graphics.

So, I can conclude this is a GPU compatibility problem, not a codec or memory/cache problem.

Now, I'm running AE with Integrated Graphic

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
May 03, 2017 May 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Farhan Azwir,

I am sorry for the crash issue. It seems like an issue with memory. Please try to purge the memory & disk cache.

Edit > Purge > All Memory & Disk cache & try Preview.

Please let us know the status of the issue.

Thanks,

Vidya.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for your answer, I tried that method but it's still crash. I don't know what really happen with my AE, but I think it's not a memory problem. I'm very very curious about this bugs, because my PC doesn't even have the "AE has stopped working dialog", which means it runs smooth and works like charm.

I've already tried this method :

-Purge All Memory & Disk Cache

-Empty Disk Cache

-Install the older version of Quicktime (7.7.6), people said the 7.7.6 version is a stable version. I installed this version but still useless. Now I install again the newest version (7.7.9)

-Tried to run all version of AE (CS6, CC 2015.2, CC 2017.0), but still experience the same bugs

-Of course I'm not using Multiprocessing preferences

-My driver (all of them) is up to date

-My RAM is 4GB, but now it's upgraded to 8GB (of course 8GB is worth for AE)

-Tried to run with Integrated Intel HD Graphics and also tried to run with NVIDIA GT940M too

......but still have the same bugs

test01.jpg

Is there an OpenGL problem? because my AE doesn't support CUDA and automatically select the OpenGL driver (OpenGL NVIDIA GT940M).

Please help me...I can't work without After Effects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neither of your screens meet the minimum required resolution to run After Effects. See this page (1280x1080 is the minimum screen resolution).

I doubt that would cause your crashes, but it might.

Alternatively, you could be crashing due to the kind of footage you are using. What format and codec is it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answer,

But I'm not sure the problem is my screen resolution. My friend (Asus laptop;Core i3 4100U, NVIDIA GT930M, RAM 6 GB, OS Windows 8.1) runs AE CC 2017 on 1366x768 screen and it works fine.

I'm working with .MOV (Quicktime) file from my Nikon D3300. I tried to convert to another codec / format, but still the same bugs appear. I never see those bugs on my PC, even though I'm working with Quicktime/H.264 codec.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

QuickTime with the H.264 codec is a buggy mess. It's unsupported by Apple and has caused problems for years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2017 May 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you think Quicktime is the problem, why it's work well in my PC?

I'm also working with H.264 Quicktime in my PC with AE CS6 and I never see any problem with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 04, 2017 May 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Different hardware causes different problems with it. I don't know that it's causing your issues for sure, I just know to avoid creating or using QuickTime files with the H.264 codec because weird problems often happen when you use it. I have learned in nearly 20years of video work to avoid workflows that have known bugs whenever possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2017 May 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Camera produce the H.264 MOV file. If I have to convert the footage first, too much time wasted.

I think the problem is my graphics card, the dual graphics, Intel HD Graphics 520 and NVIDIA GT940M.

And i saw that my graphics card doesn't certified by Adobe (My PC using NVIDIA GT730, and it's not certified too)

Does AE support dual graphics ? is that the main problem ?

Here is my dxdiag file :

DxDiag.txt - Google Drive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 05, 2017 May 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AE doesn't use the GPU for very much.

It doesn't use it for keying at all.

The "certified" list you were looking at only applies to the ray-traced renderer (which is considered an obsolete feature).

AE has no problems on systems like yours with "dual" graphics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2017 May 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what can I do to send the crash log?

Maybe Adobe's developer can fix this problem?

I don't know what to do now, AE always crash on my laptop. Maybe after I send the crash log the developer can conclude something...

A hardware problem or a software problem...

If it's a hardware poblem, I think I should sell this HP Pavillion ab127tx, I can't even finish my job in AE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 08, 2017 May 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try contacting Adobe support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 15, 2017 May 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there! Thanks for your answer!

I just figured out why AE keep getting error in my laptop!

The problem is I changed the default graphics processor for applications to High performance Nvidia Graphics. Now, I changed it back to Auto-select, so, if I run Adobe software that doesn't support GPU, it will automatically run the application with the Integrated Graphics.

So, I can conclude this is a GPU compatibility problem, not a codec or memory/cache problem.

Now, I'm running AE with Integrated Graphics and everything works fine. I'm so sorry, it's my fault

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 09, 2017 Jun 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you solved it Farhan.Azwir! You should be able to use your NVIDIA GPU, however. You might try updating the graphics card drivers, switching the GPU back to high performance, and trying again. Does it work better now? Please let us know!

Thanks,
Kevin 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2017 Jun 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's crashed again,,, I think my GT940M doesn't supported by AE (Tried on CS6, CC14, & CC17),,

People said CC2014 is a stable AE version. Even it's stable, the result is same, it doesn't support the GPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines