Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't see keyframes at all (CC 2017)

Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2017 May 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I recently updated AE on my mac, and on making a new project, I can't see any keyframes in the timeline whatsoever.  I can drag them around and navigate between them as if they are still there, and they have the expected effects, they are just competely invisible.  I did a totally fresh install on a Windows machine as well, same issue.

I've used AE pretty extensively before, so I don't think I'm making an obvious error, but who knows.  I can't find any other topics on the matter on multiple forums, so I'm starting to lose my mind.  Any help would be very appreciated.  Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 04, 2017 May 04, 2017

Did some experimenting when taking the screenshot, and figured out the cause.  I was editing a layer past the 3 hour mark on the source footage, which apparently is known to not display correctly.  I searched that topic and found the official info on this page: After Effects composition basics

"The limit for composition duration is three hours. You can use footage items longer than three hours, but time after three hours does not display correctly."

You led me to the answer in a roundabout way, s

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

show us a screenshot of you full Ae inteface. press UU on your layers so we can see everything. if that doesn't show anything twirl down some properties so we can see what's going on. how can you drag keyframes if you can't see them ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did some experimenting when taking the screenshot, and figured out the cause.  I was editing a layer past the 3 hour mark on the source footage, which apparently is known to not display correctly.  I searched that topic and found the official info on this page: After Effects composition basics

"The limit for composition duration is three hours. You can use footage items longer than three hours, but time after three hours does not display correctly."

You led me to the answer in a roundabout way, so thanks!!

Just as an aside @Adobe: it would be nice if the program warned the user of these issues, rather than silently perform in unexpected ways.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A THREE-HOUR COMP?  Wow.

I've been using AE since 1996, and my record for comp length is 4 1/2 minutes!  What are you trying to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Long screencap for demoing some software and comparing changes visually.  4 1/2 minute max is impressively short after all that time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

interesting. how did you get a layer to pass 3 hours? was this a footage with a timecode that passed 3 hours which you created a composition from?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No layer was ever longer than 3 hours.  After trimming out some unwanted bits, could pull layers left and extend the right-hand bound of the last layer past the 3 hour mark of the footage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know, unless you have some compelling reason to use AE -- and it doesn't seem that you do -- I'd consider using Premiere Pro for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 12, 2018 Nov 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar problem - and thanks to this thread I've solved it. It would seem the problem isn't limited to comps that are over 3hrs, but it would seem a clip over 3hrs has the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 12, 2018 Nov 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Folks, here's not a bad rule of thumb.  If your AE comp is longer than a minute, you need to start asking yourself, "Is there any possible way to do this without using After Effects?"

If the answer is "yes", I guaran-darn-tee you will be happier using it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

hey if you just precompose it works lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines