Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to add a white background to a layer mask

Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2017 May 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Photoshoppers,

I'm trying to create an image of a football shirt on a white background with a slight bit of shadow. To do this, I've selected the shirt from an image and turned it into a layer mask, so it's just the disembodied shirt on a checkered background. I'm now trying to turn that background white, then add a shadow and crop the image down to 300 by 220. But I can't find any simple way of doing this. Could someone help me out here? I'll post a screenshot of my current project very soon.

Thanks,

James

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add a new fill layer underneath your shirt layer using  Layer - New Fill Layer - Solid Color   and set it to White.  If it appears above your shirt layer just click and drag it down in the layers panel.

To add a shadow - Right click on your shirt layer and select Blending Options from the menu that appears . Then click on drop shadow (don't just tick the box - click on the word and you will see controls to adjust the size and angle etc of the shadow)

Finally to crop - use the crop tool and enter the dimensions including px (e.g. 300px) in the options bar at the top of the screen.

Hope that helps you

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Damn... You beat me to it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At least our answers were consistent

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Eternal+Warrior  wrote

Damn... You beat me to it!

Hey, if you thought that was fast, you should see Dave with a 3D thread.  Still not close to Dag with colour management and anything to do with Eizo monitors of course, but lets not be silly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
May 08, 2017 May 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Clearly I need to up my game Trevor.Dennis!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi James,

The process for this is really simple...(I'll edit this post with screenshots later)...

Just add a new layer and fill with white then drag this beneath your masked layer.

Add a drop shadow by double clicking on the layer with your t-shirt to bring up the effects panel.

To crop to a specific size or ratio just use the crop tool.

Best,

EW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great advice guys. Thanks a lot for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines