Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Smart Previews and Metadata

New Here ,
May 05, 2017 May 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm travelling and wanted to continue updating face/keywords on some photos whilst away..  So I created smartpreviews for all my photos on my NAS.

Whilst away, Lightroom worked offline, and I was able to tag faces etc.

What I expected: was that when I reconnected to the NAS at home, that lightroom would update the metadata within the original physical files on the NAS.  I'm looking at the modification timestamp of the files, and nothing is changing on its own.

Only when I select a photo and say "Metadata -> Save metadata to file" does that file get updated.

Under catalog, I already have "Automatically write changes into XMP".   The files are a mix of JPG and TIF files though.

So am I wrong? Shouldn't lightroom be automatically updating the original files ?  (I really like to keep the metadata in both the lightroom DB and the original files).  I know face-positional-metadata (etc) may not be in the TIF files, but keywords should be saved.

I don't want to have to go back through all the recently updated files and right-click,save meta on them (I've already lost track of those I updated).

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 05, 2017 May 05, 2017

No, that's how it works. Automatic writing doesn't wait until the images are online again and then catch up. Instead, it won't take you long to find those images - set up a smart collection based on the Edit Date, select them, and save the metadata.

Remember too that the XMP doesn't contain all your Lightroom work and that saving the XMP is primarily for data exchange with other apps, not backup. Ensure you backup your catalogue.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, that's how it works. Automatic writing doesn't wait until the images are online again and then catch up. Instead, it won't take you long to find those images - set up a smart collection based on the Edit Date, select them, and save the metadata.

Remember too that the XMP doesn't contain all your Lightroom work and that saving the XMP is primarily for data exchange with other apps, not backup. Ensure you backup your catalogue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

Yes everythings backed up in triplicate, files and catalogue.  Thanks for your very quick reply.

Thats a real shame.. I thought the whole idea of smart previews was to seamlessly work offline, and then be the same as if I had of been online at the time of editing (which would of updated the original files)...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, as you probably know, while smart previews are great they don't allow you to do everything you would do if the originals were attached. Also, it's part of the Lr philosophy that the truth is in the catalogue, not in XMP. But with a smart collection, it won't take you long to find those images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi John,

Yeah I just like keeping things in sync. The NAS allows a keyword search web-based system, but that only works on the original files.

I've spoken to support, and it seems if the files were RAW or DNG, then they would of automatically been updated (at least the XMP file), but with TIF/JPGs its not.  I have a link to the wishlist so I think I'll add it on. At the very least it needs to be clearly documented as to when and when-not it'll update the originals, but thanks for your answer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should add:

What I'm seeing:  The folder where I store the files, the original files are not being updated.  If I use a 3rd party viewer on the file, the keywords don't update until I tell lightroom to manually save.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines