• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Editor default font to Helvetica , not installed

Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2017 May 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Acrobat DC Pro XI and when I go to edit the PDF text field, the default font is "Helvetica". This font is not installed on the current system, and Helvetica is not a font but a font family. I can either purchase a font named "Helvetica" , but everywhere I have looked i see fonts within the "Helvetica family" and NOT the "Helvetica" font ONLY. Another solution is to change the default font or default settings to Arial, but I have hundreds of these fields and hundreds of these templates to modify.

Capture.JPG

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 04, 2017 May 04, 2017

There is no need to purchase the "Helvetica" font, nor is there a need to change every occurrence of "Helvetica" to "Arial". The "Base 14" fonts (Helvetica, Times Roman and Courier in four different weights plus Symbol and Zapf Dingbats) (or their Windows equivalents) are required to be available in every PDF processor. When you open a file that uses Helvetica on a Windows system that only has Arial installed, it will automatically substitute Arial for Helvetica. This means that even though you

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no need to purchase the "Helvetica" font, nor is there a need to change every occurrence of "Helvetica" to "Arial". The "Base 14" fonts (Helvetica, Times Roman and Courier in four different weights plus Symbol and Zapf Dingbats) (or their Windows equivalents) are required to be available in every PDF processor. When you open a file that uses Helvetica on a Windows system that only has Arial installed, it will automatically substitute Arial for Helvetica. This means that even though you don't have "Helvetica" installed on your computer, your form that uses "Helvetica" as the font for form fields will work without any problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for replying. Issue we are facing is there is 3rd party tool that is creating Pdfs based on this master PDF template and it is looking for Helvetica font and does not understand to pick Arial instead. if there was a way to install just Helvetica font , we can venture that option. Else any other way ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is something you will have to discuss with the makers of this 3rd party tool. As far as purchasing "just" Helvetica, you may need to talk to one of the font vendors. I did a quick check on Helvetica® Roman Font - Licensing Options | Linotype.com​ to see if any of the fonts report just a "Helvetica" as their PostScript name, but that does not seem to be the case.

Does your 3rd party tool run on a Mac? Every Mac comes with Helvetica, so you would not have the Helvetica/Arial substitution problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct, 3rd party tool is on a PC and hence Helvetica is not available. Only if there was "Helvetica" available in PC, or some global setting to change the PDF Editor to point to Arial or some other available font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fonts needed, if anyone can find them, are

Helvetica font family, in type 1 format (not OTF or TTF) which contains four fonts called (exactly) Helvetica, Helvetica-Bold, Helvetica-Oblique and Helvetica-Oblique. So it is the name of the family, and of one of the fonts in it.

Adobe sold these for many years, and it's possible they may still have them for special order. They now only list OTF fonts on their site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2017 May 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. I am trying to find this but not able to get to that specific type 1 format (not OTF , TTF). If there is any link or resource, can you PM me ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will have to get in touch with Adobe's sales department to find out if you can still buy that package - or try Monotype's customer support. Explain to them that you need the Helvetica Type 1 font (just as TSN explained).

Alternatively, you can also programatically change every occurrence of Helvetia in a text field to Arial using the following script (e.g. in an Action, so that you can process multiple files at the same time):

for (var i=0; i<this.numFields; i++) {

var f = this.getField(this.getNthFieldName(i));

if (f != null && f.type == "text") {

if (f.textFont == "Helvetica") {

f.textFont = "Arial";

}

else if (f.textFont == "Helvetica-Bold") {

f.textFont = "Arial,Bold";

}

}

}

This will change Helvetica to Arial, and Helvetica Bold to Arial Bold, you can of course add more "else if" conditions to handle more font weights.

Keep in mind that your files will get larger when you do that: Helvetica does not have to be embedded, because it's assumed to be available in every PDF processor. When you specifically ask for Arial (even though Acrobat would actually use Arial to display all "Helvetica" text when opened on a Windows system), the font will be embedded, and your file will be bigger.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 06, 2017 May 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe no longer supplies licenses for these fonts except via printers that have Adobe PostScript 3. Such printers usually ship with “host software” with the Type 1 versions in both Windows and MacOS versions for all the printer-resident fonts. If you have a printer with Adobe PostScript 3 and you have the original CD/DVD (or otherwise available host software), the fonts might be available from there.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2022 Mar 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What if it is not automatically substituting Arial for Helvetica? When trying to open a specific pdf, I keep getting the meesage " Cannot find or create the font "Helvetica". Some characters may not display or print correctly."  And the file then comes up blank. I can go to Preflight and manually have Adobe substitute the font, but how do I get it to do it automatically? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Type 1 is one of the three common font types. That's the description you need to find in a catalog instead of TrueType or OpenTpe. But you also need to check with the makers of your software that they accept this font and font type and will embed it. Don't assume, all software is different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks both for your suggestions. I am pursuing the route of contacting with the software maker. Will send an update in few days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What if it is not automatically substituting Arial for Helvetica? When trying to open a specific pdf, I keep getting the meesage " Cannot find or create the font "Helvetica". Some characters may not display or print correctly."  And the file then comes up blank. I can go to Preflight and manually have Adobe substitute the font, but how do I get it to do it automatically? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines