• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Transparent negative.

Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2017 May 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using CS5 and want to scan a negative using Epson 4490. When I do the resulting scan is not transparent. I want to overlay the negative  on top of another image and see the lower image through the negative. Opacity changes the entire image and not what I want.

Is there a way to scan in a negative and use it like the old negatives when we all had darkrooms?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 05, 2017 May 05, 2017

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Richard+Alan  wrote

I am using CS5 and want to scan a negative using Epson 4490. When I do the resulting scan is not transparent.

That's an original take. Back in the day someone once wondered why you couldn't just send money with a fax machine...

But yes, Multiply blend mode will do what you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you familiarised yourself with Layers’ Blend Modes yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the response.

I have used the layer blending options but Photoshop can solve problems that I don't even know exist. I will review the Layer blending options to see if I can accomplish what I want.

In short I am trying to duplicate an image style from the 1870's to 1880's. In a two step process the photographer prints first a negative then prints that negative on a piece of glass that has been coated with some form of silver nitrate. He then had a positive imprinted on a piece of glass. He then painted on the backside of the image with various colors for lips, skin, dress, hair bow, etc. and got a very nice color image from the process, I was hoping to duplicate this process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For colouring b/w images one can paint on a Layer set to Blend Mode Multiply atop the image Layer.

Could you post an example of hat you want to emulate?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Front and back of the image on glass. This example has seen better days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 07, 2017 May 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

transparentNegativeMultiplyColorizeScr.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 07, 2017 May 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless they involve gradients I would recommend using separate Solid Colour Layers for the various color regions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Richard+Alan  wrote

I am using CS5 and want to scan a negative using Epson 4490. When I do the resulting scan is not transparent.

That's an original take. Back in the day someone once wondered why you couldn't just send money with a fax machine...

But yes, Multiply blend mode will do what you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines