• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR shutting down, then restarting

Explorer ,
May 05, 2017 May 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Mac PBP 2011 has been shutting down and restarting while working in LR CC. it will work for several minutes then Shut down/restart sometimes several times then be ok for a while. If I don't do anything it doesn't shut down. Should I re-install a fresh version of LR?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 05, 2017 May 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A computer shutting down may indicate problems with hardware.

Maybe the CPU is over-heating. Check air-flow and internal fan working.

Are the video drivers and OS up to date?  Lr can work the graphics harder than usual which might be showing up the hardware problem.

2011 is now about 6 years of use! Time to consider a computer upgrade maybe?

Re-installing Lightroom is not going to help IMO.

My Dell laptop (Windows-8) would close with a Blue screen (BSOD)- A graphics driver update (nVidia) fixed my problem.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 06, 2017 May 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you wobertc for your response.

I re-installed the latest OS MAC ver 10.12.4, and so, the Drivers are automatically updated. The fans were indeed spinning fast at times and Mac genius say it's the system doing it's housecleaning/filing. They had no concrete fix and thought it would be software related because the problem is sporadic. I re-installed Lightroom as it was the only application open for several crashes and all seemed well until I returned to the computer a few hours later and it had crashed, then re-started after a few power starts/stops/starts. I’m now thinking it just might be the computer.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 07, 2017 May 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What actions in Lightroom are you performing at the time of the crash?

What is the CPU temperature at the time of the crash?

Was the motherboard tested? Was the computer memory tested?

Honestly, if Lightroom isn't running at the time the testing is performed, performing the same actions that cause it to crash, then it's a worthless test, because as stated above by @wobertc, Lightroom puts more stress on the hardware than most other programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 07, 2017 May 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi thanks for your input.

I usually do global editing to one photo while the MAC shuts down and there is no way to tell the temp at that point,

It has been prompting the fans to spin on fast while it decides what to do/start back up/or manual restart.

When I was at the Genius Bar, said Genius said they couldn't tell if the motherboard was faulty nor did he say the ram was an issue. Disc Doctor said the HD was fine. I even re-installed a fresh version of LightRoom. Same luck!

Now it won't even get to sign in.

I have un plugged all externals and still no sign in.

Trying 6th restart now going to shift/controll/option then restart and bingo it's alive. Perplexed.

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines