• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why do some clipping paths disappear?

Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2017 May 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It often happens that some clipping paths disappear from the images when I copy an InDesign file with links and fonts to another folder.
Can anyone explain why.

It courses a lot of trouble as I often have up to 500 links in my jobs.

Best wishes

Marianne

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What images do you use?

Where have the clipping paths been created?

How do you copy the file? Do you package? That is the best method to copy a whole file with all assets to another folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mostly JPG's
In PhotoShop

I guess we receive them as a package (I'm not the original receiver of the files).
When I copy to another folder - I just copy/paste

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A Jpeg can have no clipping path, or 1 or more. If you have paths in Photoshop, you can designate one as the default path. Once placed in InDesign, it will use the one designated in Photoshop, but you can change it in InDesign. If you click on the image and go to Object>Clipping Path>Options. That will bring up a window where you can select from the paths that were saved in the Jpeg, or have InDesign create one (although it will usually be not as good as if it were done in Photoshop, so only use that as a last resort). You can also select None as the path for a Jpeg that has one or more, and it will act as if it had none.

What you should check is whether these particular Jpegs were saved in Photoshop without designating a path as default, and possibly it was turned on after it was placed. If that were the case, it could be that the setting for the clipping path was changed to the default, which is to use what is in the Jpeg, and not the changes to the path after it was placed. I'm not sure how this could be switched off by copying, but it's what I would probably check first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Of course, a JPG can have a clipping path but no alpha channel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines