• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

white space in paint brush tool overlap

New Here ,
May 07, 2017 May 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in adobe animate cc when i use different brush styles or variable width settings with the paint brush tool and then draw a single line that overlaps i get this weird white space or deformation when the line intersects with itself. is there a way to change this?

i was trying to find information about it online and i think it has to do with the "non zero winding filling rule" settings or something. here's an image - the first loop is the default paint brush tool, the second is with a stroke style artistic brush applied, the third is with the variable width setting changed. i'd like to make the second two brushes react like the first when they overlap.

Capture.PNG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 08, 2017 May 08, 2017

No, the changes to your path aren't due to the non-zero winding filling rule. That applies to how a fill (as opposed to a stroke) is determined based on how a path overlaps itself. What's happening with a paint brush stroke is that the intersection is telling Animate that despite how you've drawn the line, the there's a start and end to your path at that intersection. It's especially noticeable with the variable width profile. If you want to use a vector art brush and get an effect more like the

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
May 07, 2017 May 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's difficult for me to understand what you're trying to achieve. The obvious question is: If the default brush works as you want, why not use that. But, I'm guessing that there is more to the problem. One option that comes to mind is that you can convert your brush line to a symbol and then apply a Blending option to the symbol. This may do what you want if you are creating an AS3 file. If you are working with an HTML5 project, then Blending is a bad idea, the display response is just awful.

If you can give us more information, someone may be able to give you a useful solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2017 May 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for answering - well i want to draw with more textured looking brushes, and don't want there to be weird white gaps whenever a single line overlaps itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see what you mean. Maybe someone else on this forum can provide a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the changes to your path aren't due to the non-zero winding filling rule. That applies to how a fill (as opposed to a stroke) is determined based on how a path overlaps itself. What's happening with a paint brush stroke is that the intersection is telling Animate that despite how you've drawn the line, the there's a start and end to your path at that intersection. It's especially noticeable with the variable width profile. If you want to use a vector art brush and get an effect more like the default brush, look for a brush that doesn't have as noticeable of a tapered end like Chalk - Blunt. If you want tapered ends on the points where you do start and stop your path, draw the path with the uniform width profile and adjust the ends afterwards with the Width tool ( U).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

hmm -  i was hoping there was some way to fix it with the available brushes, but it's good to know what the problem is -  thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines