Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC 2017 - Gradient Tool

Explorer ,
May 08, 2017 May 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10 Pro - PC

Could anyone tell me what is wrong with the gradient tool and color picker.  The gradient tool has sharp dividing line between colors (instead of gradual fade from one color to the other.  Depending on the color chosen, the color picker shows this same abnormality.  Does anyone know what is wrong or how to fix it?

Thank you,

Carol

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could happen with a gradient if the color stops are very close to one another, like this:

They could even be on top of one another.

It would be helpful if you could show a screen capture of this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 09, 2017 May 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To Barbara Ash and to Tom Attix -- since you both asked for screen shots.  (which I am attaching).

Barbara:  I didn't use the gradient map.  This is what I did.  I clicked on the color chooser tool at bottom of tool bar to bring up color picker  then clicked on the color I wanted - an aqua.  As you see in the color picker, it looks like sharp lines.  No clue why.

I did the same with the pale violet color - didn't see divider lines on that color, so didn't make screen shot of that one.

Then, I selected the gradient tool (in the tool bar to the left of the screen and pulled the gradient over the blank layer.  As you see I get divided bands instead of a smooth gradient.  I don't want divided bands - never encountered this before.  Can either of you tell me how to fix this awful thing.

Thanks you both so much for responding,

Carol

Gradient Illustration.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The screen captures are very small so I may be missing it, but I don't see sharp lines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this better ?

new Gradient Illustration.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has nothing to do with Photoshop. The problem is elsewhere and needs to be fixed elsewhere. Exactly where, is impossible to say with a scaled screenshot. Press "print screen", paste into a new Photoshop file, and post that. Nothing more. We need to see this pixel for pixel, with a 1:1 screenshot.

As for the rest. 8 or 16 bit refers to the file's color depth. I suggest you read up on what this means. It is set in Image > Image Mode.

Since you don't know what display calibration is, you obviously don't do that. You can still have a corrupt display profile delivered through Windows Update, and I suspect that's the problem here.

But first we need to see a better screenshot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did "print screen" and did paste into this - Is this ok?  I don't know what a 1:1 screenshot is, so please let me know if I need to redo this and how / to get a make a 1:1.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see nothing out of the ordinary here, no excessive banding. This is a very shallow gradient with few document values spread over a large distance. There's no way you can avoid a little banding in this case - except apply a little noise.

This is an 8-bit file BTW, you can see that in the title tab: "RGB/8". That means you will have banding in the data. You should get in the habit of working in 16 bits/channel. The difference is 256 discrete steps per channel, versus 16 000 or so discrete steps per channel. The file gets bigger, but that's a reasonable price to pay.

If you really see severe banding here - I don't - there must a problem with your display.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for answering.  I see the title you refer to - I had no idea that is what it meant - now I do.  Thanks.

In the Image > Mode - there is 8 bit, 16 bit and 32 bit.  Should that be changed to 32?  If 32 offers better (appearance I guess), why would anyone stay with 8 bit?  Why would it be available?  Is there some advantage to an 8?  I hope you don't mind telling me these answers.  I've tried reading about bits, etc and do find some info helpful, but not enough to really understand what I should be doing for my benefit.

And one more "dumb" question:  When you say there must be a problem with my display - - are you talking about my monitor? or my graphics card?  or what exactly?

Thanks again,

Carol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stick to 16. That's enough to know that any banding is not in the file.

32 is known as HDR and overkill for normal purposes.

The screenshot looks fine, given the limitations of 8 bit data. I really don't know how it looks to you, so I can't answer that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answers - any answer about my display ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see banding in your screenshot. But since you do, it must be there.

Make sure that Dither is turned on.

If that doesn't do it, you could try Filter > Noise > Add Noise, and add a small amount of noise. That usually tends to reduce banding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 10, 2017 May 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your reply - I'll give that a try

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In 8 bit color depth you will always see the individual steps from 0 - 255. This is irrespective of the application used.

In a 16-bit file any banding you see is in your display system. It is not in the image data.

Most displays work at 8 bit color depth anyway, so you will always see some banding. If the banding is very irregular, that is usually caused by calibration tables in the video card, a defective monitor profile, or the panel itself.

A very tiny amount of noise will break up the banding so that it's no longer visible. Even a very fine-grained photograph always has just enough noise to kill any banding. This is the standard way to deal with it, again irrespective of application used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To D Fosse:  Thanks for your response.  I need help here understanding you.  How do I know if I have 8 bit or 16 bit?  Where do I look. 

Once I find that, can I change it to 16 if it is 8 or can I?  How do I change it? 

How do I find out about calibration in a video card?  A defective monitor profile?  A Panel itself.  Panel - what kind of panel? 

Does what you tell me mean that I can deal with it that way?  Do you mean its a "standard"  way of fixing the banding and stop it from occurring?   I'm sorry about the confusion but I have no clue as to what to do to fix this.  Believe me I would try anything cause I want my art work to look right.

Please help.  Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you post screen shots please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines