• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing xmp error message

New Here ,
May 06, 2017 May 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I move raw files to different folders, I get an error message indicating that associated xmp files cannot be found. At one point I used xmp files to import gps data into the metadata (used Houdageo instead of Lightroom for that purpose), but once I have imported that data, I deleted the xmp files. Now, whenever I move such a raw file, I get that error message. How do I tell Lightroom to forget about these xmp files? I thought simply deleting them is enough. I am clearly missing something here.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 08, 2017 May 08, 2017

If you Synchronize the folder with "Scan for metadata updates" checked it will get rid of the reference to the non-existent Sidecar files in the folder you scan.

Screen Shot 2017-05-08 at 4.07.20 PM.png

Before with missing XMP

Screen Shot 2017-05-08 at 4.10.25 PM.png

After Syncronize

Screen Shot 2017-05-08 at 4.11.48 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the exact word-for-word error message?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the German version. Translation would read like this:

"Error while moving files / An error occured while copying files to the target destination. The following files could not be copied."

Below that is a list of xmp files that are listed as "missing".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think there is any way to tell LR to forget about the .xmp sidecars.  You can avoid the error messages by selecting the files, doing Metadata > Save Metadata To File to recreate the sidecars, doing the move, and then optionally deleting the sidecars again if they really bother you.  But there's no performance penalty to keeping them around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2017 May 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not the answer I hoped for, but I can live with it. It's not that I move things around on a daily basis. Still don't quite get it why this should not be possible. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 08, 2017 May 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you Synchronize the folder with "Scan for metadata updates" checked it will get rid of the reference to the non-existent Sidecar files in the folder you scan.

Screen Shot 2017-05-08 at 4.07.20 PM.png

Before with missing XMP

Screen Shot 2017-05-08 at 4.10.25 PM.png

After Syncronize

Screen Shot 2017-05-08 at 4.11.48 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2018 Jun 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my goodness, Bob!!! Thank you!! have had looked to resolve this a few times over the years, ever since I tried xmp files years ago and abandoned them since I saw no real value. But now quite a few of my older images have that little icon saying sidecar file missing and while it does not harm, it is just annoying to my "need things tidy" brain. I am now a happy man. Thank you again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2021 May 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Schließe mich an Danke, endlich eine Lösung und keine überflüssige Diskussion über Sin und Zweck der TMP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines