• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe InDesign adding rows to a table deletes data or creates a text overset

New Here ,
May 08, 2017 May 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working with a multipage document on InDesign that has been formatted to keep the tables continuous throughout its 8 pages. When I try to to add a new row to the document, the table deletes the data or a text overset is created. Thus the only way to rearrange the data or insert new info is by manually copying and pasting each cell to allow for space for the new info.

I have tried using the Story Editor setting which has been semi-helpful, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a command that would allow to insert data into the table so that the table automatically reformats.

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

what is your exact version of InDesign and OS?

Could you show some screenshots of your workflow where hidden characters and frame edges are showing?
To insert screenshots ( JPEG or PNG ) use the forum editor's "Insert Image" control.

Some questions:

oksanad66295251  wrote

… When I try to to add a new row to the document, the table deletes the data or a text overset is created. …

Are you working with linked Excel files that you update with new rows and data in cells?
Or do you simply add a new row to the table in InDesign and copy the new data over from a spreadsheet?

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The story editor will display a table like the screen capture. To reveal the content of the table, select the triangle next to table icon. Within the editor, you can select the content of a cell, but can not select a row or column. You can select a hidden cell (My example shows the cell containing "8" selected) and then use the menu Table > Insert. This will allow you to add rows or columns to a table that is in an overflow text frame.

table.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Jeffrey,

the Story Editor window can only see into text cells.

Graphic cells (InDesign CC 2015 and above) are not visible in the Story Editor.

Maybe this is part of the problem?

And then we have this bug with InDesign CC 2017.1 where header and footer rows vanish if you copy the table.
Or if you duplicate the page where the table is. Perhaps this will add to the confusion?

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines