• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HD Benchmark Tests VS Server - Break that bottleneck!

New Here ,
May 06, 2017 May 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently our studio installed a proper video server for all our editors to work from. The main reason for doing this was logistics. Like many small studios we were perpetually trading drives with footage, back-ups were in many different places, footage would be lost on occasion. It was a terribly messy and unreliable system. Additionally in the last year we moved from shooting primarily on RED Epic-X and DSLR to RED Epic-W and Sony Cinema. So we started to have to deal with 8K R3D files and garbage Sony codec files! FUN FUN! Our poorly little (extremely top of the line) edit suites were choking. Initially it was perplexing to me because we have multi-cpu Xeon machines with top line geforce cards, fast m.2 caching. The works! So where is the bottleneck? Well it's in storage. Maybe every editor on earth but me already know this but boy was this server build and install an eye opener for me.

I did some before and after benchmarks and I am posting them here in hopes that people will find them helpful!

Internal Mirror RAID.png

This first test is from a 2TB drive that is internal in one of our editing machines. The typical protocol would be to put footage on this drive to do an edit. Then once the edit was complete the footage would be moved off this HD onto a USB 3 RAID. However more often then not, projects started to exceed the 2TB so we started editing straight from the RAID in many cases. This was a WD Black Caviar.

RAID Box.png

Here's the same test run from the Raid. Inside we had 8 x 6TB WD Black Caviar drives. This was over USB 3 in a RAID 10+ configuration. We had data security and a small bump in read and write speeds. In practice however, anything from the Epic-W or Sony internal codecs would choke. This was however a solution we used for a long time because it was economical. Most small studios I come across use this kind of configuration for their main storage/editing setups; but as you can see there's a huge bottleneck here. USB 3 is technically rates for 640 MBps and we weren't even saturating 1/3 of that bandwidth. Now I know this isn't 100% cut and dry. The on board controller we were using in the RAID box is probably not great; but again. This is an economical solution that A LOT of small studios use. This solution would run you around $3500 CND. Ok so now comes the server!

Server_SSD.png

So again same test, now run from the new server. Inside the server is 16 x 6TB WD RED NAS drives configured using ZFS. There is also a 512GB Samsung EVO SSD configured for caching. The server is connected through dual 10gb links to a 10gb switch. Each editing machine is also connected to this switch via dual 10gb links. One thing to note that I have not sent up teaming on the network cards yet (having some stupid driver issues) so currently only 1 of those two links per machine is being used. You can see straight away we are far exceeding the bandwidth of USB 3. I am also happy to report that anything on the crappy sony codec flies. No lock ups what so ever. R3D 8k? Well still struggling but much improved. At this point I have to believe it is because the support in CC is still technically in beta, but who knows. I will say however before on 1/4 resolution I couldn't make an 8K R3D file do much, now I can get it to play and it lags here and there but it goes! So is this system economical? No not really, but we are growing as a studio and the added convenience and security of having our data centralized is worth it. Including server, hard drives, 10gb switch and a sound proofed small server rack this is around a $14,000 CND solution.

Other considerations:

Why not use a Drobo NAS? Well frankly they aren't flexible. you can't expand them, add drives to them etc. They are also pretty expensive considering what you are getting. For $2000 CND or so you can get 8 drives onto the network. Then what? The server solution is at the end of the day a computer. It has an OS, it a part breaks you can replace it, you can upgrade the specs as needed etc. While more expensive overall allows for 24 drives and since we are using a legacy virtual RAID solution ZFS; we can expand beyond that in the future if needed. For us it was all about flexibility for the future and I don't see much value in the drobo if your pile of data will continue to keep growing.

What about thunderbolt! I dunno. We are an all PC studio for the most part so I can't really say. I would speculate however that it doesn't matter because the typical hard drive or hard drive array cannot come close to saturating the full bandwidth of the data link anyways. Technically speaking, once I have networking teaming working properly one single machine accessing the server at one time will be able to handle 20gbps which means 2500MBps. Right now So currently my server solution is basically JUST saturating the 10gb pipe!

What about cloud storage for legacy footage!? Sure. Probably something we will considering once we have maxed out the current server build. The reality is though that here in Canada our telecom infrastructure is garbage. Our office is in a newely renovated, ultra hip, building and we still can only get 50MB up from our internet provider. That's 50MB advertised which really is about 35-40 in practice. Currently the average project we are working on is around 1TB.

I am not an expert when it comes to this stuff. Just an editor (mostly former editor at this point) and cinematographer who has been dealing with real world GB's for 8 years or so! These are my finding and I hope this is helpful for someone out there!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to Hardware Forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday I was trying to sort out my Samsung 960's. Here's when I recognized the problem...

Here it was 1/2 way fixed...

Then I got everything sorted:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 07, 2017 May 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just for kicks here are two 960 Pro's in RAID 0

Of course this is local storage and if I could afford it there is a way to have 8TB at the final rate that MyerPJ has shown above and here below on his 500GB 960 Pro.  This can be accomplished with one simple PCIe x16 board with 4 each 2 TB 960 Pro's for only a little more than $5000

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 08, 2017 May 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for doing this.

Having used the Samsung 950 Pro M.2, a few days ago acquired the 960 Pro and both tested to Samsung's specifications. 

However, I decided to make the 950 Pro my system drive (please don't ask why ) and its performance dropped from the specified 2,434 - 1,512  to 837 - 826 read write speed. 

At that point I swapped the two ssd's location with the same result for the 950 Pro.  See the clips below:

950 960 M-2 performance issue.jpg

Any suggestions?

Bill, if you're reading this and since you use the same mother board as I you may be interested in one of my findings that eliminated Areca's tedious firmware test during booting. it eliminates about one minute

• Under “Boot” > “Above G4 Decoding” changed from “Disable” to “Enable”
  • Under “Boot\CSM” changed “Boot from PCI-e / PCI Expansion Devices” from “Legacy Only” to “UEFI driver First”

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<<At that point I swapped the two ssd's location with the same result for the 950 Pro.>>

I think you may be saying the same thing that happened to me. In the first picture I see you are running in "PCI Gen 1 x 4" and the second in "PCI Gen 3 x 4".

I was having the problem instead of running in "PCI Gen 3 x 1" - then "3 x 2" when trying every option I could think of in the bios to get it back to x4. I knew it had run that way from initial tests just trying the various parts). After I saw in Windows "Disk Manager" the EVO was drive 1 and the PRO was drive 0, I switched them around physically so the PRO was now in the upright m.2 slot in my Asus x99 Deluxe II. That sorted it in Windows on my boot drive (EVO) was now drive 0. (I know, it's a bit... retentive - I just like them right if possible). I went on to other stuff and then came back when installing software:

Since I tried all bios settings I could and it was not working for me, I fianlly had to go back to the original locations of the drives, (the boot EVO now in the upright m.2 slot (drive 1) and the pro is in the hyper-card (drive 0) and both are running at x4 with no special bios settings. So, only the physically changing of the drive location in the motherboard made the change.

?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your Asus x99 Deluxe II you have to be real careful to use the right slots here are the specs depending on which CPU you have:

40-Lane CPU-

4 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (x16, x16/x16, x16/x16/x8, x8/x8/x8/x8) *1

1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (x1 mode)

1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (max at x4 mode) *3

1 x PCIe 2.0 x1 

28-Lane CPU-

3 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (x16, x16/x8, x8/x8/x8) *2

1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 

1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (max at x4 mode) *3

1 x PCIe 2.0 x1

To further complicate the issue here are the superscripted notes when you use various other features

*1:PCIe x16_3 shares bandwidth with M.2 and U.2_2. It runs at x16 mode by default. PCIe X16_5 shares bandwidth with U.2_1. It runs at x4 mode by default with U.2_1 enabled.

*2:PCIe x16_3 shares bandwidth with M.2 and U.2_2. It runs at x8 mode by default. PCIe X16_4 shares bandwidth with U.2_1. It is disabled by default.

*3: PCIe x16_2 shares bandwidth with USB3_34 and USB 3.1_EA34. It runs at x2 mode by default.

That is why I am happy that I got the x99 WS motherboard much less confusion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Bill your input is much appreciated. Since I remember you having a similar mother board I look forward to your updated comments based on the information below of my setup:

Mother board - ASUS X99-E WS/USB3.1

CPU - i7 5960X

Memory - 64GB

Graphics Card - GTX 980 Ti

RAID card - ARECA 1883ix

Drives - SATA two Samsung 850, PCIe one Samsung 950 and one Samsung 960, eight HHDs in raid 3 configuration and three SSD in raid 0 configuration,

I get it that

The Graphics card is in slot PCIEX16_1

The ARECA Raid card is in slot PCIEX16_4

The Samsung 950 is in slot PCIEX15_6

The Samsung 960 is in M.2 Socket 3 connector

Hoping to hear from you

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the typos, can't get the editing feature to work

The last bit should read like this:

I get it that the correct PCIe slots must be used when the on board "M.2 Socket 3 connector" is utilized as one of the PCIe slots is disabled, which in my case should be PCIEX16_4

The Graphics card is in slot PCIEX16_1

The ARECA Raid card is in slot PCIEX16_4

The Samsung 950 is in slot PCIEX15_6

The Samsung 960 is in M.2 Socket 3 connector

Right now it looks like I plugged the ARECA card into the wrong slot

However, what is bothering me is that everything worked before transferring the System onto the Samsung 950 and only after that the 950 slowed down...

Hoping to hear from you

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MyerPj

Didn't see your reply, guess I went to the bottom and only read Bill's

It's late now, but I'll read it again tomorrow and let you know if it works for me. 

Bill

I moved the ARECA raid card to the PCIEX16_5 slot, unfortunately everything is still the same

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 09, 2017 May 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

MyerPj

Tried what you suggested and it didn't work

Went out and bought the ASUS Hyper M.2 X4 Mini to replace the cheap one from IOCREST.  That too did not work...

I'm getting the feeling there may be something wrong with the Samsung 950 Pro

Thanks just the same for your input.

... hello Samsung can you please send me a new one ...

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines