• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

See also index cross-references don't appear in WebHelp output and sorting issues

New Here ,
Sep 12, 2008 Sep 12, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created index cross references to make "see" and "see also" references in the index. When I generate the output they are not in the index. For example, for "deleting" I made a subentry called "see removing", which is a cross-referenced to "removing," and "deleting" does not appear in the index.

I read that 7.0.2 fixes something that sounds like this issue (Structured cross-references and structured index markers losses their links in the generated output), but I am running 7.0.2.001. And there only seems to be one download for 7.0.2.

Also, I would like to be able to put the "see also" entries at the beginning of the sublist for an index entry, for example (and a bad example at that):

apples
see also oranges
delicious
pippins
macintosh

As it is, if you want "see also" in the index entry, it sorts under "see," which is not what you want. Of course, I only see this in the source file.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 18, 2008 Sep 18, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The index cross references don't work so well in WebHelp. At least they didn't back when we used RH X5, when I did some research on it after we had problems. Because of this, my team double-indexes for synonyms when the output is WebHelp. (So we index both "deleting" and "removing", for example.) This was also recommended to me at an STC conference some time ago.

If you still want the "see also" entries at the beginning of a 2nd level list, you could put a dash or two in front of it. We find this has the advantage of setting them off nicely, so they can't on first glance be mistaken for an actual keyword.

Hope this helps.
Eileen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eileen

Why aren't you using Synonyms in RH7?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Ahhhhh.... We just switched to RH7 a few weeks ago. Didn't know about Synonyms in RH. Will look into that immediately! Thanks for the tip.

Eileen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp