• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

JUST DELETE IMAGES !

Explorer ,
May 08, 2017 May 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 6K of images to deal with from a shoot 2 weeks ago. WHY OH WHY can't I just hit backspace or del key and the images are GONE!!!!!!

No I don't want to reject them

no holding command + del is a PITA when having to remove the shear number of images I'm removing

NEVER show me that 3 way dialog on what to do. Why did I hit DEL ? um.... I dunno, maybe because I want the files GONE !

this is completely ridiculous and painful. please fix it so that only a SINGLE keystroke is required. No mod keys, no dialogs, dump the images to trash and have option to delete from disk in refs right then and there... or better yet make who ever is in charge of the UI be forced to delete a few thousand images, THEN they will get it.

S

Message was edited by: Steve Oakley

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Steven+Oakley  wrote

or better yet make who ever is in charge of the UI be forced to delete a few thousand images, THEN they will get it.

The UI designer would use the reject and filter tools and the "Delete Rejected Photos" command and EASILY do what you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The UI designer has purposefully done so as there are far more people out here who would complain that they have mistakenly hit just single key on the keyboard (with no extra warnings etc.) and then lose a image or more.

So it is very unlikely to ever get changed.

If you look through this forum you will find even references that some people still find the existing warnings too subtle and want them more even prominent/harder to mistakenly trigger for making these deletions etc.

The method of marking them rejected or any other method of filtering then deleting those images is only a few clicks extra to what you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get it *other* people need the hand holding confirms before deleting. they are welcome to them.

I want both of you to sit on a first pass edit and delete roughly 30-60% of 500-1000 images. you'll VERY quickly find how even ONE extra click or keystroke is one too many. SPEED and LESS EFFORT. the way its set up right now is extremely painful. I have 5-6 shots of one thing. I can find the 1 or 2 I want to keep, the rest are rubbish. I just want them gone, on keystroke gone. never to be seen again, not to be reject, then deleted, just DEL gone. having this as an option would be extremely easy to do.

I still hold open the invasion for the person responsible for this to sit and do the task hundreds of times and see how miserable even one extra anything is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 09, 2017 May 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is my workflow:

2124 images from a shoot (Outside Lands Music Festival). Cycle through the images in Library Module in Loupe view using the right arrow key. Tap X for each rejected image. 10 minutes later, 1847 images marked as Rejected. CMD/Delete - Delete from Disk - 1847 images gone.

I have only needed to hit the delete key once. Fast, efficient, total control, it can't be any easier. If you adjust your workflow I think you will appreciate the method outlined here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Brad, I agree totally. The X key is the method!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 10, 2017 May 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Full ACK

That's how I teach it in classes ... and do it myself

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you know, you dont have to delete every picture one by one after rejecting them ...

just reject the rejects. and when you've done your pass just CTRL/CMD+DEL. Is that so hard? two buttons. I think you can manage that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Steven+Oakley  wrote

I have 5-6 shots of one thing. I can find the 1 or 2 I want to keep, the rest are rubbish. I just want them gone, on keystroke gone. never to be seen again, not to be reject, then deleted, just DEL gone. having this as an option would be extremely easy to do.

In addition to the suggestions already provided it might be helpful during the culling session to use the Attribute Filter above the film strip. If you select the Flagged and Unflagged filters the 'X' rejected image files will be removed from view. No they're not deleted yet, but as you reject photos you'll have fewer images to scroll through. This is helpful if you want to make a 2nd pass for deeper culling of some photos. Once completed you can unselect the Flagged and Unflagged filters and select the Rejected flag to review just those files before deleting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks. thats useful.... and mostly unobvious w/o explanation.

still a bad workflow though for those who know what they do or don't want and want things simple & fast. LR should a have an instant delete & gone option that doesn't take any extra steps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

have you tried Photo mechanic? It's a culling software that is supposed to be very fast and effective. I don't have any rush so I haven't bought it, but it seems like a good step if you do a lot of event photography that usually tends to create a lot of extra images.

It's a step before importing to LR (or any other software). So you don't need to wait for those render previews which can/is a pain in LR.

Sorry, not a solution, but maybe this is a workaround that suits your shooting style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find it far more efficient (eliminating the X/reject phase) to just make picks of the images I like, sort by pick, then delete the images that were not picked.

Even better, make your selects (Tags) in Photo Mechanic, delete the not selected (untagged) files before import into LR. Then LR does not have to make previews for files that will be later rejected and deleted. Photo Mechanic will step through the previews many times faster than LR.

I'm like you, shooting thousands of images at events like concerts and music shows.

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 11, 2017 May 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I find it far more efficient (eliminating the X/reject phase) to just make picks of the images I like, sort by pick, then delete the images that were not picked.

And there is a keyboard shortcut to help achieve this-  Ctrl+Alt+R   (or Menu > Library > Refine Photos )

"Refine Photos" effectively does a 'downgrade' of Flag status marking the 'unpicked' images as 'Rejected', then apply the Delete shortcut- [Ctrl+Backspace]

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines