Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Various issues with Lightroom - please help if you can

Explorer ,
May 08, 2017 May 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear all

I am a long term, fairly high-level LR user who has been using it since version 3, maybe earlier.

Most of my use has been on a Mac but I recently returned to a PC for more power.

Hardware:

Dell XPS 8910

Windows 10 home

Core i7-6700 @3.40GHz

16GB RAM

On board graphics Intel HD 530

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 (2MB)

I operate on a monitor at normal HD 1080P, no higher

Lightroom and its catalog are on SSD, Raw files on normal disk

I'm having glitches galore.

I have more than one crash a day.

Sometimes if I click on a dialog or a button the software freezes, then my windows cycles between a static LR screen and the last window I had open, as if Alt and Tab were held down but vvveeerrrrryyy  slowly.

I regularly have glitches when importing or publishing where it reports than some files were not imported/exported/dealt with (but not why)

I get issues like the attached screenshot.

glitch.JPG

I only have two active plugins, the ones I use daily, they are both up to date and don't seem to cause problems.

I have tried switching off GPU support which didn't make any difference that I could detect and I have had crashes since.

Camera Raw cache is set to 30GB

Any suggestions gratefully received. I am a photojournalist and can't go on like this so will change software if I have to.

Nico

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. You don't say what version of Lightroom you are using. Please make sure you have Lightroom 6.10 or Lightroom CC 2015.10.

Also please make sure that your video card driver is up to date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have checked both of those and everything is fully up-to-date.

Mine is the CC version

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds more like some type of hardware glitch.

Run Memtest 86 overnight to stress and test the memory.

On your SSD open the Properties window then the Security tab and make sure your user name is added to the ROOT of the C drive and give it full control.

Also check your username folder, C:\Users\YourUserName for those same permissions, IE Full Control, on the security tab of the Properties dialog.

If this is a desktop system go into the Advanced Power options and set the system to run at Max Performance. There is also settings in the BIOS/EFI for limiting the CPU speed. Try turning those off and or Full Power.

If this is on a notebook you might be stuck with the Intel Speed step settings or having shorter battery life.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Just Shoot Me, we might have a problem here!

I found I wasn't listed, but the admin group is (and I'm in it):

permissions.JPG

Should I add myself individually? I did try that but got a load of error messages saying it couldn't enumerate certain folders.

My user folder does have full Control.

I have the power settings on high performance now but they only seem to influence sleep etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes add your username to the list and give it full control.

But do not go Advanced and do anything else.

In the Power Options section there is a link to Advanced Power Options.

In Control Panel (NOT PC Settings) Find the Power options icon then open it. Under High Performance click the Change Plan Settings link. Then the Change advanced power settings link.

Win 10 Power options.PNG

Win 10 Advanced power settings.PNG

Set the Hard drive to Never (you have to type it in). Check all other settings and if they are limiting the system set them to either never or disabled.

My screen shots are from a Virtual Machine of Windows 10 as I run win 7 Pro. So your's may look a little different.

With my system, which is 6 years old, I have no freezing or slow downs when using LR or any software. But I have every power limiting feature turned off. And I over clock my system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 09, 2017 May 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your continued advice!

I'm getting this issue when I try to add myself to the root of C with Full Control.

security.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right just click continue. There are some folder and files you can't add your username to, which is OK. That's why I said NOT to go to the Advanced section and try to do that.

Clicking Continue will just skip that folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Did that instinctively but at the end the last message is about C:\ and then it says it was unable to perform the action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines