Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The link between where a project is saved locally and where it outputs to

New Here ,
Sep 15, 2008 Sep 15, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I've got a source controlled project where one of my clever developers decided to change the setting within the WebHelp Primary Layout "Select Output Folder and Start Page" to point to a network drive, because he thought this would be a good way of publishing the output directly to the network.

He has been re-educated (!) but the issue I've got now is that when I've attempted to change this path back to the standard one, it is no longer tracking the local copy of the project on c: drives...

What I mean is that if I have the project stored in "c:\proj_x" and I've set the Output Folder to back to "c:\proj_x\!SSL!\WebHelp\home.htm"... but my colleague has his local copy set to "c:\x_proj".. When he does a build, it now doesn't build to the !SSL! folder within his project, instead it creates the folder structure as per my settings "c:\proj_x\!SSL!\etc"

So I'm wondering how I can restore the default behaviour that we have for our other projects, where RH will automatically build the Output within the same folder structure of wherever we have it saved on our local copies?!

I suppose the other question might be around the potential impact of rolling back the .ssl folder via Source Control.. has anyone had any issues doing this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Sep 15, 2008 Sep 15, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope part of his re-education was to inform him that you generate to your local disk and publish to a server location(s).

As to generating, I recommend generating to somewhere outside the project, such as C:projx_out. There is no need to include output within your source control mechanism.

As to the path synch issue, simply open the <WebHelp_SSL_Name>.ssl files in Notepad, and make sure that this line:

DestinationProjectName=C:\projx_out\home .htm

is the same in every one.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 16, 2008 Sep 16, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a simple change like this, I'd just update the SSL rather than try to roll it back. Make sure that the updated version goes into source control and that everyone gets a fresh copy, so that you're all on the same page.

G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2008 Sep 18, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi both,

Thanks for the replies.. yes i have re-educated my colleague properly!!

Leon, that is a good idea and I might go with that, but ideally i want it to behave like it did before it was fiddled with!! i.e. each user can have their own project folder and build within it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp