• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CREATING NEW DEVELOP PRESET

New Here ,
May 09, 2017 May 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a iMac desktop running OSX 10.8X.  I have Lightroom 5 Process Version 2012.  I have a Nikon D800E camera.  I don’t like Nikon’s  default Standard for my pictures so I set my
camera for Neutral and less contrast.  It’s
an Nikon in camera edit called Picture Control.
Of course when I import my raw Nefs from this camera into Lightroom, Lightroom does not
read these edits from Nikon and I am back to the Adobe Standard and more
contrast look.  My questions are…

To make a Develop Preset, choose a picture and apply the
edits you want to it.  ( In my case, types
of edits I want done to every Raw photo that is imported to my catalog from the
D800E.)  Then click on the + symbol at the
top of the Presets area.   I want to
change the camera calibration to “Camera Neutral” and to decrease
Contrast.  After I click on the plus icon
at the top of “New Develop Preset” and the “New Develop Preset “ dialog comes
up.  I would uncheck every checkmark in
the dialog except “Contrast” and “Calibration,” give the new preset a name, and
select “User Presets” for the storage area (or a folder I make up).  Is that right?  Then I could apply this Preset every time I
imported Nefs or use it after import, on my Nefs.   Which ever I wanted.   Is
this right?  Did I follow the right steps for creating a  Development
Preset? 

Would there be a way to undo this applied develop preset to more than one photo at
a time afterwards?  Another book I have, said to make
another preset along side this one, which takes off what you did to make the
preset in the first place.  Will that
work?   I don't want to get locked into having to take off this preset (if I ever wanted to) to each picture one by one.

I don’t think in the future I will save to file on my
pictures so all the information will be in the catalog.  Should I leave the “Process Version” box checked in
the New Develop Preset dialog?  I don’t
understand the consequences of checking or not checking it.   What
happens if in the future I wanted to upgrade Lightroom  and the upgrade had a different Process
Version?  From what little I’ve read, different
developmental things may or may not be affected by a different newer Process
Version.  I don’t know if Calibration and
Contrast would.  I don’t know if my old version
Develop Preset for my Nefs would transfer to the new upgrade, and if it did, would the outcome be the same?

So to head this off before upgrading
could I use my “Undo” Preset on every Nef before I upgraded to a new Lightroom
version?  And then after the upgrade, see how
my Nefs look in this newer version.  If they still have too much saturation and contrast
apply a new preset to all Raw Nefs in this new version of Lightroom.  Would that work?

Thank You for any help.

Thank You Very Much,

Sandy

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 09, 2017 May 09, 2017

You are doing everything correctly as you have outlined in the first two paragraphs.

I do the exact same thing for my NEF files.

If you apply this preset during the import process, there is no "undo", just "change". However, all you need to do is change the selected profile in the "calibration panel" if you so desire.

Yes, I would leave the "process version" checked in the preset. The values mean different things in the different versions.

While you may not record the process version in the preset,

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are doing everything correctly as you have outlined in the first two paragraphs.

I do the exact same thing for my NEF files.

If you apply this preset during the import process, there is no "undo", just "change". However, all you need to do is change the selected profile in the "calibration panel" if you so desire.

Yes, I would leave the "process version" checked in the preset. The values mean different things in the different versions.

While you may not record the process version in the preset, the process version is recorded in the edit history of the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You probably would want to include the process version. If you want to remove this preset from several images just highlight all of the images you want to remove it from and turn on autosync and click the undo button. But I think you're stressing out a little too much. If it turns out that you want to make some modifications later on because of the new version or whatever, all you have to do is click on the preset to apply it and make any adjustments. Then right-click on the preset and choose to update to the current settings and it's all taken  care of. Don't worry about it. You aren't locked into anything. You can always make adjustments later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2017 May 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank both of you for helping me with this.  I didn't know about the last two procedures for removing or updating the preset.  I really didn't know how this went because I have not had 100% time to study all that was in my books.  I've covered much, but not autosync and I didn't think of finding a right click menu with develop presets!  Thank You Very Much for the help.  I wouldn't be able to operate this program without the help of others.  Thank You So Much again!

Thank You,

Sandy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines