• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Computer for editing 4k (150/100Mbps) Panasonic HC-X1E footage

Participant ,
Mar 07, 2017 Mar 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.. We just got a Panasonic HC-X1E and was wondering what computer we would need to edit the footage without transcoding?  The main thing I am interested in is which CPU we would need.

The specs of the footage from the Panasonic site are:

Recording / Playback Mode

AVCHD

PS 1920x1080 59.94p/50.00p: Average 25Mbps (VBR)

PH 1920x1080 59.94i/50.00i/23.98p: Average 21Mbps (VBR)

HA 1920x1080 59.94i/50.00i: Average 17Mbps (VBR)

HE 1440x1080 59.94i/50.00i: Average 5Mbps (VBR)

PM 1280x720 59.94p/50.00p: Average 8Mbps (VBR)

SA 720x480/720x576 59.94i/50.00i (SIDE CROP/LETTERBOX/SQUEEZE): Average 9Mbps (VBR)

MP4/ MOV

4K 4096x2160 24.00p 100M: Average 100Mbps (VBR)

UHD 3840x2160 59.94p/50.00p 150M: Average 150Mbps (VBR)

UHD 3840x2160 29.97p/25.00p/23.98p 100M: Average 100Mbps (VBR)

FHD 1920x1080 59.94p/50.00p/29.97p/25.00p/23.98p 200M (ALL-Intra): Average 200Mbps (VBR)

FHD 1920x1080 59.94p/50.00p 100M: Average 100Mbps (VBR)

FHD 1920x1080 59.94p/50.00p/29.97p/25.00p/23.98p/59.94i/50.00i 50M: Average 50Mbps (VBR)

Did some googeling and still not really sure.  Can someone point me at any recent articles or give me your thoughts.

We are shooting in the 50p/150Mbps setting, but would shooting on maybe a 25p/100Mbps seating help?.

Ben

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly, I think you should eliminate the "no transcoding" rule and use Premiere Pro generated proxies for this type of media.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is probably what we are going to have to do but be good to know what type of CPU power we would need if we upgraded out edit suits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ben,

For more suggestions & opinions I have moved your thread to the Hardware Forum.

Thanks,

Kulpreet Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A pretty good answer to most any "What equipment should I buy?" question is: "The best that you can afford."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Mar 08, 2017 Mar 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"A pretty good answer to most any "What equipment should I buy?" question is: "The best that you can afford.""

Agreed!  But the problem is the definition of "best"!  That is what keeps this particular forum alive, and kicking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kind of but there is often various price-performance sweet spots.  The vibe I get is a dual socket 2015 i7 2.8Ghz desktop can handle it.  This is a LOT cheaper than a modern dual core Mac Pro.  There is always a price consideration for buying kit for a business, even in creative industries.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

funkytwig  wrote

Kind of but there is often various price-performance sweet spots.  The vibe I get is a dual socket 2015 i7 2.8Ghz desktop can handle it.  This is a LOT cheaper than a modern dual core Mac Pro.  There is always a price consideration for buying kit for a business, even in creative industries.

Unfortunately there is no such thing as a dual socket i7, I assume you were talking about dual Xeon processors.  IF you would like to see how various CPU's can run Premiere Pro.  Take a look at my collection of CPU intensive scores from my newest Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM) site and you can roughly make you own trade-off of cost per CPU or CPU pair.

My personal sweet spot is highlighted and it is a single i7 6950X, much less expensive than the few very high end Dual Xeons for CPU intensive processing .  An then when you add in the additional expenses of more costly memory and more costly motherboard  it even makes it more desirable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But the problem is the definition of "best"

The Internet abounds with CPU performance charts.  Some tests even use PP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 09, 2017 May 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I probably asked the wrong question.  It should be what processor is likely to work well.  I am guessing one of the recent 12 core xeons would do the trick but would a recent i7 6 or 8 core work?  Just looking for a few options of CPUs that, given the correct graphics card/HD, should give good performance playing 2/3 streams.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 10, 2017 May 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For any H.264 based media, I recommend using the Proxy workflow.  Stick to the included GoPro Cineform presets.  This will provide a marked improvement in performance, especially with effects.

And that brings us back to my earlier answers.  Read the benchmarks and get the best hardware you can afford.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 19, 2017 May 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about the DNxHD presets for proxies? I've used the 720p LB 8 bit.
I'm using it for Panasonic GH4 4K 100mbit (which is H.264 if I remember correctly).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless they were added in 2017.1, there are no DNx Proxy presets, which means you'd have to create them.  You can, of course, but I do think it's an unnecessary step.

I think the included Cineform presets are all one really needs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, there aren't any DNx proxy presets in the latest version, I created my custom presets by myself in Media Encoder and then I've imported in Premiere.

I was asking that because the second computer I own (laptop) hasn't a powerful CPU, so I was wondering if there was any performance differences in timeline playback between Cineform and DNx.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 21, 2017 May 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I wouldn't expect any noticeable difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines