Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Shortcuts suddenly prompts different tools [OSX and Wacom]

Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2017 Apr 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

My shortcuts have been acting weird the last week or so. When I press "T", 1 out of 3 times it chooses the type-tool, but often it will choose the Rectangle tool. If I press T a second time (because it chose the Rectangle tool), it will choose the text tool. This happens to most of the shortcuts I've tried. It's not random which tool it chooses - E (eraser) becomes "F"/Screenmode, M (marque) becomes "O"/Dodgetool and so on.

I've tried different things without luck: Reset shortcuts, reset preferences, installed a plugin to fix a problem with Wacom tablets.....but nothing is working.

Hope you can help me, cause shortcuts is a really important part of my workflow.

Thanks

Charlotte

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 10, 2017 May 10, 2017

Hi again

It seems to have fixed it self. Photoshop had an update earlier this week, which I installed, and there hasn't been any issues since. Let's hope it was a bug in the previous update, and that it doesn't come back

Thanks again for the help and advise.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Charlotte

If this is Photoshop CC, the first thing to try is to click on the three dots at the bottom of the Toolbar and choose Edit Toolbar and the then click on Restore Defaults

Otherwise, can you confirm what version of Photoshop, and what operatin system you are using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Thank you so much for your quick answer!

I've restored defaults but unfortunately, the shortcuts are still not working properly.

My Photoshop is version 2017.1.0 and I'm using macOS Sierra (10.12.4).

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've read your post again, and I am guessing that you are using a Mac, and have installed the White Window plug-in.  Is that right?

Have you tried opening the ​Edit > Edit Shortcuts​ and using the drop-down towards the top right and choosing ​Photoshop Defaults​?

Also select the ​Essentials ​workspace, and then ​Reset Essentials workspace​.

If you are still in trouble after that it might be timer to reinstall, but try starting Photoshop with the Shift key held down to force Photoshop to ignore any third party plug-ins and Extensions. 

Did you have a particular reason for installing the White Window plug-in (if you have in fact done so).  Did you have any of the symptoms described on the plug-in page?  Have you tried disconnecting the tablet?

Did you restart Photoshop after making earlier changes?  In fact restart the computer just to be sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried reset essential workspace, Photoshop default shortcuts and starting with Shift Key held down, restarting both computer and Photoshop, but alas no change.

Your'e right, it's the White window plugin I've installed. To be honest, I just tried to install it because I couldn't find other solutions. I didn't recognise any of the symptoms, but was hoping it would help anyway.

So I guess its time for a reinstall:)  - I'll try that, and get back to you.

Again - thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again.

Tried to uninstall and reinstall Photoshop, but the shortcuts are still broken. Same behaviour as described before.

Does anybody have any other solutions?:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should have mentioned that it would be a good idea to use the Cleaner tool when reinstalling

Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems

Sorry, but try reinstalling again using the cleaner tool.  I am a Windows user so out of my depth with OSX, but I'll edit your subject to reflect that you are a Mac user.  My gut tells me that it is related to your Wacom tablet though.  If you were using Windows I'd suggest disconnecting the tablet, and using Task manager to 'End any Wacom Processes' but I don't know how that works with OSX.

Can you tell us what tablet you are using and its driver version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2017 Apr 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the slow response - had to do some work.:)

I tried to run the Cleaner tool + uninstalled wacom driver and software + disconnected the tablet - but sadly nothing worked.

I work on 2 different tablets: Wacom Intous 5 and a Wacom Intous 3 - but the issue is the same, weather I use tablet, mouse or the track pad on my laptop. The wacom driver is 6.3.20-11.

When I started Photoshop after reinstalling and Cleaner tool, it actually seemed to work...but after a few minutes it started to act up again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2017 May 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi again

It seems to have fixed it self. Photoshop had an update earlier this week, which I installed, and there hasn't been any issues since. Let's hope it was a bug in the previous update, and that it doesn't come back

Thanks again for the help and advise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines