Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

making tethered shootings wireless...

New Here ,
May 10, 2017 May 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I would like to get rid of USB-cables in tethered shootings, but still use Lightroom's automatic naming routines, that are available in the settings for tethered shoots.

Here is why...

I work in e-commerce in a large photo studio with almost 20 photographers shooting simultaneously. We forward our images to our picture post production, but the actual products move on to a different department. Therefore, we need to make sure, that all images can be associated with the correct product. We do this by scanning the unique product code with a barcode scanner and ask Lightroom to create a folder for the images of every single item, name the folder using the scanned text and include this text in the file names.

I know, that Lightroom can import new files automatically from a "watched" folder, but I need to build my folder structure as described above. I guess, that we will need some additional hardware (eyefi-cards?) to enable wireless file transfer in the first place, but will Lightroom be able to operate with all the required features?

One more thing... we shoot RAW, so there is quite a bit of data to transfer. 🙂

I would love to hear your advice. I would also be interested in speaking to an Adobe Lightroom expert in Berlin, Germany. If you know anyone, please let me know!

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 10, 2017 May 10, 2017

This is a user to user forum so the majority of responses you get here would be from users like yourself. With the increased new camera models having Wi Fi features this may be something Adobe is working on presently. Presently Lightroom only has tether capture for a few  dozen high end camera models and this may be due to the camera manufacturer limiting the possibility of shooting tethered.

Adobe has a a Feature Request / Bug reporting website which is monitored closely by Adobe engineers / su

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a user to user forum so the majority of responses you get here would be from users like yourself. With the increased new camera models having Wi Fi features this may be something Adobe is working on presently. Presently Lightroom only has tether capture for a few  dozen high end camera models and this may be due to the camera manufacturer limiting the possibility of shooting tethered.

Adobe has a a Feature Request / Bug reporting website which is monitored closely by Adobe engineers / support staff and it would be more appropriate if you posted this request there.

Photoshop Family Customer Community

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks a lot for pointing me into the right direction!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I used a wireless Q-link USB dongle (Ebay £10) on the camera and receiver on a PC with a Canon utility into a watched folder. But only briefly with a Canon 7D. Speeds were slow and maintaining the link was tricky and range was poor too <10m. Further more it was 'graveyard' technology so drivers for anything up-to-date after Win7 were problematic. 

So it gathers dust. Shooting jpeg and RAW and forwarding the jpeg using WiFi has potential. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines