• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Applying a signature using a self-signed certificate requires reattaching to certificate file each time

Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2017 Feb 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our office has been using Adobe Reader XI and some Adobe Reader DC installations for some time to digitally sign pdf documents.  Many times there are 2 or 3 of our employees that sign the same document.  Each user has a self-signed certificate saved in their own network folder and each user's installation of Reader is (was) set to remember the connection to that signature file.  They simply open the PDF, located the signature line, select to Place Signature, draw the box, type in their password and save the file.

In the last 3 weeks or so, this has stopped working and is requiring them to locate the certificate each time they want to sign a document.  In other words, they open the file, find the signature line, click to Place Signature and a window comes up asking for how to sign.  Then they have to select a signature file, browse to that file, type in the password, and click OK.  Then it will allow them to drag the signature area, type in their password AGAIN to apply the signature and save the file.

I've checked every setting I can think of to try to fix this and I cannot figure it out.  We've changed nothing, yet it suddenly quit working.  Anybody else had this problem or know what is going on and how to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 05, 2017 Feb 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi janwoe-techlady,

Could you please confirm the version of Adobe Reader installed on the machine?

Which Operating System running on the machine-Mac/Windows?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2017 Feb 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adorobat, most of the installations of Acrobat Reader here are version XI and patched up to date.  I have a handful of users that have Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.  The problem seems to be happening on both versions.  All machines are running Windows 10 Pro.  It is frustrating and I don't know where to begin to look for a fix.  Any help unraveling this mystery would be appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2017 Feb 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

INFO UPDATE: 2/7/17

After working with a specific user today and testing some things, it appears that the problem is that Adobe Reader XI (the one I was testing) will NOT remember the user's Digital ID after registering it with the installation and marking it to be used for signing which should set it as the default.  Once Reader is closed and reopened the Digital ID does not appear in the list and has to be re-added.  Or, if you go straight to a document to sign it asks for how you want to sign it and you can navigate to the .pfx certificate file, type in the password and then it will allow you to sign.  Any ideas on what is causing this?  Could it be caused by something changing on our network?  I don't think we changed anything though.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 11, 2017 Feb 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You for sharing the info.

Could you please let me know the version of Reader XI installed?

You may do so by launching Adobe Reader>click Help>select About Adobe Reader XI

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have the same issue, Adobe Xi pro,  and have the exact same issues as the OP above.

its nearly a month since i reported it, and its still very much an issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2017 Mar 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI - We are still dealing with this issue.  Doesn't seem to matter if it is DC or XI and seems to be tied to an update.  I found another thread that seems to be aligning with the issue (although we always drag a box to sign & it appears to deal with using a signature box).  I think the issues are the same.  Here's a link to that thread in case anyone wants to look over it and see if it helps.  If you find the solution, please comment on this board.  Thanks.

Re: Digital ID - configuration required

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 10, 2017 Mar 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Could you please confirm Reader/ Acrobat version installed on the machine?

Thank You,

Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NOBODY has posted a version yet Despite requests a month ago. Please actually check Help>About. Eg 11.1.34 or 2914.123.75435.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Acrobat XI PRO 11.0.19

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2017 Mar 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same issue.  It is a pain in the rear to open the signature file all the time as well!

On Adobe Acrobat XI 11.0.19

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2017 Mar 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST UPDATE:  I received an email from Shivam Sharma (which appeared to be from this forum) suggesting that I apply a patch that may fix the issue.  The links go to installer files labeled under a title of 15.023.20070 Optional update, February 21, 2017 (Windows only) for both DC Pro and DC Reader versions.  I downloaded them and was going to try to install, BUT most of my installations are still at version XI (11.0.19) and the installer fails and says it cannot find the installation (since it is XI that is installed).  I could upgrade the Reader installations to DC (but would have to retrain a lot of employees on how to use the self-signed certificate as the method is different).  However, our Desktop versions of Acrobat Pro XI are the latest we can get at a discount price as a non-profit without going to a pretty expensive upgrade project or the expensive subscription based version, so for now those need to stay in place.

I've sent a reply email asking if they have the patch available for Adobe Reader & Pro XI, but I have no idea.  So I am still frustrated!

Also, my users indicate that it doesn't always do it (which is very odd) and that it appears that when this issue shows up it is almost always on a document that has already been digitally signed by another party.  I'm wondering if the first signer is using Reader DC and that it is the earlier version (XI) for subsequent digital signatures that is the problem.  It's just a thought.

Anybody else had any luck?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2017 Apr 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are having the same issues on the Adobe Reader DC. We have confirmed all updates are installed. This is becoming problematic as our staff is ready to print and sign they are getting so frustrated. Any suggestion would be most welcomed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2017 Apr 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bouldertx, When you checked that all updates were installed, did those updates include an OPTIONAL update dated February 21, 2017?  This is the update that I received an email about with links to as a FIX for this problem.  However, I still haven't had a chance to see if that fixes anything, but plan to soon.  I also received another email on Saturday, 4/1/17, from Shivam Sharma that says,

"I would like to inform you that a bug has been logged (ADC-4202129) for
the issue and our team is woking on it.  We will try to release the patch
in our upcoming release for Acrobat XI."

I am truly hopeful that they will get this issue resolved for all of my installations.  I'll post back after I try the optional update I refer to above.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2017 May 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This helped me. Now when I want to sign a document, Acrobat finds my signature file and I am prompted only for my password to insert the signature.

Specify the default digital ID                                                                        

To avoid being prompted to select a digital ID each time your sign or certify a PDF, you can select a default digital ID.

• Choose Edit > Preferences > Signatures. In Identities & Trusted Certificates, and click More.

• Click Digital IDs on the left, and then select the digital ID you want to use as the default.

• Click the Usage Options button , and choose a task for which you want the digital ID as the default. To specify the digital ID as the default for two tasks, click the Usage Options button again and select a second option.

A check mark appears next to selected options. If you select only the signing option, the Sign icon appears next to the digital ID. If you select only the encryption option, the Lock icon appears. If you select only the certifying option, or if you select the signing and certifying options, the Blue Ribbon icon appears.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines