Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adding Download link in Main toolbar

New Here ,
Jul 23, 2010 Jul 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I had created a merged project in Robohelp 8.0.2 and I wish to include a button in the main toolbar along with Contents, Search, Index, Glossary for downloading the help file in PDF format. Though I had created a custom button using the Skin editor in Robohelp, I want to know how to link the PDF file to it, so that when the user clicks the link, it has to prompt for download. I have attached a screenshot below to define the same.

ScreenHunter_02 Jul. 23 12.49.jpg

1. I had included the PDF file in Baggage files and generated the output
  2. When I click the link in generated output, it opens the PDF rather than prompting to download.
  3. When I close the PDF, the contents screen goes blank/black as shown below:

ScreenHunter_03 Jul. 23 12.53.jpg

Is there a way to prompt for downloading the help when the user clicks the download pdf link in help?

Let me know your thoughts on this

Thanks & regards

Pan_sel

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are probably other ways but if you put the PDF in a zip file and link to that, then I think you will reliably get a download prompt.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

short answer is you cant, and shouldnt.

Its a bit of a problem really, I looked into the same feature myself a while ago, for PDFs.

There are a few problems, mainly its that browsers will be configured to handle a file type already, this can be by default in the browser, by user preference or file type association. and this various across all browsers, and operating systems.

best option is to either tell people how to download it - right click - though thats not available to everyone either, or package it in a zip file.

have a read here for more details.

http://www.htmlhelp.com/faq/html/links.html#force-download

if you really want to do it, youll need to use PHP and HTML To overwrite how the browser is handling the file, but dont be surprised if it breaks between browsers and after updates etc.

Nick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I have tried zipping the file and then add the link to custom download button. Though it prompts the user to download in Firefox, it doesnot prompt the user in IE. Its not even opening the file; however I have to right click the button and say Save Target As... to download the zip file in IE.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks & Regards,

Pan_sel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

In IE you may be seeing a behavior imposed when working locally and you are using Mark Of The Web. (MOTW)

MOTW will inhibit links to PDF in these cases and is unique to IE. The true test is to place the content on a server. Once on a server the MOTW has no meaning and things should work.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 moments from now - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 10, 2017 May 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick

This is an old thread, but is exactly what I'm trying to accomplish so thought I would just tack on to the end.

As with the original poster, I've created a custom button for my PDF download, and the PDF is in the Baggage Files.

I do have a text link in a topic to open the PDF in a separate window, but the client would ideally like it to be a toolbar button (beside the Print Topic button).

In your Skinny on Skins file, there's a topic to "Add Button to Invoke File" such as Word or PDF in either the topic pane or a new window

(I want the latter). The OnClick JavaScript code refers to a website URL. Is there no way to point this to the PDF in the Baggage Files?

I don't know the exact path where the help (and PDF) will be stored on their server, is there a way to point to the same folder that the help is called from?

I appreciate your guidance,

Laurie

BTW I am working locally but do not have MOTW enabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 12, 2017 May 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Put the PDF in the root of your project. When creating the toolbar link, use the Link option instead of the script option. Browse to the PDF in the root of your project. Add the file in the root as a baggage file.

Works locally on FF but not IE with MOTW. Without MOTW it should be OK in IE as well.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Peter! I’m sure I tried that first and it only opened a black panel in the topic pane. Now it does work, in that it opens the PDF in the topic pane. Is there any way to have a prompt to open (in a separate window) or download the PDF instead?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the window that opens, there is a toolbar above the PDF and the second item on the right is a download icon.

If you particularly want the PDF to open in a new window, you can use Rick's script. You are not limited to www locations. See below

javascript:window.open('my.pdf','msg');

I have stripped out the dimensions so that it opens full screen. You can put them back in and adjust to suit.

It opens in a new window but it is the same toolbar icon for downloading so still not quite what you want.

There may be a neater solution but I'm thinking that the PDF button could link to a topic that explains this users and then contains a link to the PDF from there.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, thanks again Peter. I'll have to play later, just got pulled into a different fire.

The client has low expectations of their clients, so they want it as easy and obvious as possible so I want to give them a few options to choose from.

Have a great weekend!

Laurie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Coming in late on this. Another way you might accomplish it would be to simply have a topic with the instructions on right-clicking the link and saving. But have a link to the PDF from the topic. Then, of course, link from the main toolbar to the topic.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I said. Coffee is on, nip over!

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Rick. I do have the button linked to a topic (that in turn has a link to the PDF). I just wanted to be prepared for the client asking for a direct open from the button.

I have a few options to present to them now, thanks both!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp