• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

2017: too bad: arrowheads scalable but…

Contributor ,
Nov 04, 2016 Nov 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love the new 2017 new option to be able to alter the size of arrowheads.

But: only the filled arrowheads seem to be usable: when I resize an open arrowhead the line the arrowheads consists of is scaled down too; and that is something you would not want to happen: see image

Schermafbeelding 2016-11-04 om 15.59.42.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read this article (which includes a description of the way arrowhead scaling works in InDesign CC 2017):

What’s New with InDesign CC 2017

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read that article, did you read my post?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no time for testing today. I'm heading out of town, sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I request you to add your issue as a feature request in the below link

Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Hope this helps:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 04, 2016 Dec 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was thrilled when I learned CC 2017 had arrowhead scaling. I'm constantly working with documents and diagrams where I have to create arrows and the options so far were very lacking. I even resorted to importing them from Illustrator.

When I tested the CC 2017 scaling, I was so disappointed. Even on the filled arrowheads, 50%, or even 10% of scaling shows little difference from the original.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 10, 2017 May 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with diagrams that need a more noticeable reduction in scale of the arrowhead on a stroke that mirrors the effects that Adobe Illustrator's tool accomplishes. Customizing the 100's of rules/arrowheads is not cost efficient for catalog work. Has this issue been resolved? Is it reported as a bug? I'll have to draw them in Illustrator and import over otherwise... sigh....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 10, 2017 May 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want changes made, you need to file a bug/feature request here:

Feature Requests/Bug Reports

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 11, 2017 May 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

melanieb40484947  wrote

… Customizing the 100's of rules/arrowheads is not cost efficient for catalog work. Has this issue been resolved? Is it reported as a bug? I'll have to draw them in Illustrator and import over otherwise... sigh....

Hi Melanie,

it's no bug. It's as designed.

One solution would be scaling not only the arrow head plus the whole object.
Begin with a large stroke weight:

ArrowHeadScaling-and-ObjectScaling.png

Unfortunately, the second step—scaling the whole object—cannot be captured with an object style.
Another problem…

Customizing and automating things in catalog design would require scripting to be efficient.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 03, 2017 Jan 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's issues with the filled arrowheads as well. I often want to make arrows with lines fat enough to put a label on, like this (built with boxes):

1.png

I'd like to use arrowheads as I do in Illustrator, but obviously, InDesign's old 100% arrowhead size was never any good for this:

1b.png

I was happy to see that arrowhead scaling has been added, but I'm not finding it useful at all.

Endpoint aligned with the tip:

tip.png

Endpoint aligned with the base:

base.png

Both of those examples are the same underlying line length, so the endpoint alignment IS changing, but it seems to also be incorrectly changing the amount of line that's shown.

The open square and open circle arrowheads are the only ones that seem to be aligning correctly at the endpoint.

works.png

Did anybody test this feature?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 03, 2017 Jan 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

donayer wrote:

… Did anybody test this feature?

Yes. I did. So?

Regards,
Uwe

PS: I did a lot of suggestions. Others as well. They are all not implemented yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 11, 2017 May 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created the same line with arrowhead and the result is different from you example. See the screenshot here below.Schermata 2017-05-11 alle 22.15.09.png

The other case, correspond to your example. See the screenshot here below.

Schermata 2017-05-11 alle 22.14.52.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines