• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"non-unique" url when creating a new web app

New Here ,
May 08, 2017 May 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems Business Catalyst doesn't allow creating a web app that shares the same url as an exisitng BC web page.

Basically, I have a web page that will serve as a hub page to display all items from a web app ( e.g <domain name>/xyz/staff ) . However, BC doesn't allow me to create a web app which shares the same URL structure as that web page (e.g <domain name>/xyz/staff/mr-x).

Is there a way or even workaround to allow the creation of a web app in this manner? 

TOPICS
Web apps

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 08, 2017 May 08, 2017

Please ignore everything you think or understand first.

1. You make a webapp, it has a folder (SITEURL/webapp-name)

2. You can THEN and only then make a folder of same name (webapp-name)

3. In your folder you can create index.html so that /webapp-name loads that default page

4. You can create other pages inside that folder as long as they are not the same as webapp item names (No sharing same url)

5. You can not create subfolder structures on web app items  (You CAN NOT do - /webapp-name/sub-folder/

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to do it the other way around.

- First create the webapp with folder

- Then create a folder of same name as webapp folder name

- Create index.html inside.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply, Liam.

About the 1st point, how do I create a webapp within a folder? Unlike creating a webpage, I can't find the option to specify the folder name inside the "edit web app settings" page.

For the 2nd point, Does that mean I will have to create the folder manual way (e.g through FTP, upload/create an empty directory that shares the same name as the webapp folder name) ?

By the way, in case of my website, I already have the folder created a while back. This folder has been used to store several BC webpages, and now I'd like to create a webapp module that will sit within the same folder as these existing pages.

By the way of illustration, I've already got a folder xyz created that contains a couple web pages: abc.htm, & def.htm. Is it possible to create a web app that has the following URL : /xyz/staff/mr-x , and with a hub page that has this url: /xyz/staff ?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please ignore everything you think or understand first.

1. You make a webapp, it has a folder (SITEURL/webapp-name)

2. You can THEN and only then make a folder of same name (webapp-name)

3. In your folder you can create index.html so that /webapp-name loads that default page

4. You can create other pages inside that folder as long as they are not the same as webapp item names (No sharing same url)

5. You can not create subfolder structures on web app items  (You CAN NOT do - /webapp-name/sub-folder/webappitem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright, I've just followed your instruction, and it works. Thanks for that.

However, it looks like I have encountered another issue.

Here's the rundown of what I've done:

1. I created a web app that has the following url : SITEURL/xyz/staff , hence to access a web app item under this web app, the url will be : SITEURL/xyz/staff/mr-x

2. Then, I created an empty folder labelled "staff" which is siting inside the "xyz" folder.

3. Back in Business Catalyst, I created a webpage, set its name to "index", and Its sitting inside the SITEURL/xyz/staff/ folder

Now I can only view the index page by visiting this url : SITEURL/xyz/staff/index .

I will be redirected to the "Page Not Found" page whenever I try to Visit either SITEURL/xyz/staff  or SITEURL/xyz/staff/  

was wondering if this issue is caused by point #5 in your reply. Hence, BC considers "xyz" to be the webapp-name instead of "xyz/staff".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 09, 2017 May 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure the page you made includes the file extension .html

If it is just "index" then it wont work, it needs to be "index.html"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Liam, I changed the file extension from .htm to .html straight after following your instruction, and yet I still encounter this issue.

Basically I can only see the page if I go to this url : SITEURL/xyz/staff/index ,

not SITEURL/xyz/staff or SITEURL/xyz/staff/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can access - SITEURL/xyz/staff/index

Then the page in admin has not been updated

It will 404 if you do the above and done correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2017 May 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Liam, but now I'm kinda confused with your reply.

Could you please clarify more about the 2nd sentence : " the page in admin has not been updated"  ?

Which page? the index page that I created in Business Catalyst? And what do you mean by the page hasn't been updated?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It needs to look like this:
Screenshot 2017-05-11 09.44.04.png

If not then it wont work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ah I see, It works.

Appreciate your help, Liam. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines