• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Start Menu in CC 2017: Can't Delete Templates

Explorer ,
Jan 26, 2017 Jan 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like the new Start menu with the template option, but I don't like the fact that I can't delete the templates from Start when I click on New. 

The templates are great when you are working on a project, but not so great when you are completely finished with the job and will never use them again and can't delete them.

The only current option, according to support, is to eliminate the new Start menu entirely in Preferences, which is drastic and not what I want to do. I can clear recent files, but not recent templates.

It would be a wonderful new feature in a future release to make these templates user removable: it would really improve the Start page's template usability.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 26, 2017 Jan 26, 2017

How about using the Saved tab as your default in the New Document dialog?  You can go through the other tabs and select presets that are useful to you, and save them (you need a different name).

Then select the Saved tab.  Unfortunately, after restarting Photoshop and clicking on New opens the dialog in the Recent tab again, so not as tidy a solution as you are probably looking for.  As you can see from the dustbin icon in the top right corner of the A4 (custom) preset below, you can delete templ

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about using the Saved tab as your default in the New Document dialog?  You can go through the other tabs and select presets that are useful to you, and save them (you need a different name).

Then select the Saved tab.  Unfortunately, after restarting Photoshop and clicking on New opens the dialog in the Recent tab again, so not as tidy a solution as you are probably looking for.  As you can see from the dustbin icon in the top right corner of the A4 (custom) preset below, you can delete templates from this list.

You can actually open and edit the Recent Files file in Notepad, but it contains precious little in plain English text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have some excellent ideas for how to work around this issue and I am most appreciative.

It is still not possible, even with the Saved tab, to delete any templates downloaded from Adobe, only one's own templates.

I suppose I could delete the Start.psw file and get a new Start page, but I am loathe to touch system files without knowing more about what that might do or not do.

Thank you for your very helpful and very clear response. The screenshots were very useful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2017 May 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shame on you Adobe. I'm a software engineer. This was a design choice by them to stop you doing so.  Gives you a reason to "upgrade". Good business tho. 

To delete templates, on Illustrator CC 2017 on a Windows 10 x64 machine. you need to locate the file:

"C:\Users\tshaw\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator 21 Settings\en_GB\x64\Adobe Illustrator Prefs"

Anyway, once open, do a search for "/artboard"  You might need to search a few times, maybe 6-10 times to find what you're looking for.

You might see something like:

/artboard {

/height_3 792.0

/width_3 612.0

/height_2 792.0

/width_2 612.0

/height_1 792.0

/width_1 612.0

/height 1200.0

/width 1920.0

}

Delete the sizes you want and make sure the numbering (height_3 etc, changes those numbers!!) is still correct.  This might leave some settings from the presets left in the file but it works...I wonder if Adobe checks their configs for redundant config options...probably not.

Anyway, hope it works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 11, 2017 May 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you very much for your helpful comment.

On Mac OSX 10.12.4 I believe the same information is to be foun at /Users/linda/Library/Preferences/Adobe\ Photoshop\ CC\ 2017\ Settings/New\ Doc\ Sizes.json

Much appreciation!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines