Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Most recent Photoshop 2017 update lagging with tablet

New Here ,
May 10, 2017 May 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

so with the recent update to photoshop, it has started lagging whenever I use my tablet (intuos3). It seems somewhat slower in general as well, but when I attempt to do anything with the stylus the program becomes entirely unresponsive for several seconds (has been upward of 15 or so).

I doubt it has anything to do with my computer, as its only a few weeks old and is a generally high range gaming computer.

I've searched the forums all over, but nothing suggested has been able to help (such as choosing different performance options, and rolling back to previous versions of photoshop/ wacom drivers).

Has anyone any idea what else could fix it? I'm a little worried it might just be because the tablet is an older model, which might force me to upgrade.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not see everyone complaining about performance with CC 2017.1.1. I have read some complaints. We know you have CC 2017 and a Game machine and an old  Wacom intuos3.  What else can you tell us.  IMO Photoshop CC 2017 takes its time closing down. I would think  your intuos 3 hardware would be fine for use.  How well a wacom tablet works depends on many thing being configured to work together.  My Intuos 3 did broke I now have an Intuos 5 small and I see no good reason to update to a newer model.

Supply pertinent information for quicker answers

• The more information you supply about your situation, the better equipped other community members will be to answer. Consider including the following in your question:
  • Adobe product and version number
  • Operating system and version number
  • The full text of any error message(s)
  • What you were doing when the problem occurred
  • Screenshots of the problem
  • Computer hardware, such as CPU; GPU; amount of RAM; etc.
  • Photoshop System Info
  • Photoshop Preferences
  • device drivers
  • Wacom preferences
JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not too sure what else I can tell.

From that list however, I can say that I'm running the latest version of photoshop, the latest intuos3 drivers (6.3.15-3). I use windows 10.

The main computer hardware info is ; Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti,  RAM:  32720 Mb.

All preferences for photoshop and the tablet are currently default.

And the following link is the photoshop system info;

Dropbox - info.txt

Hopefully some of this can help somehow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 11, 2017 May 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should post the information here not at dropbox and you should also post how you have configured your Wacom tablet, what drivers, windows pen and touch support if your are using wintab or Microsoft ink apl. Photoshop brush settinf if its brush lag. Everything need to work together.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You asked for the photoshop system info? Which is several pages long? Seems inconvenient to post here, so I simply put it on dropbox so it's not cluttering the discussion.

I already said which drivers I'm using (6.3.15-3), and the tablet is at its default configuration. And the brush settings are all default as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The simple fact is there is not one answer many things need to be configured so all thing involved work well together.  You should do some searches in the Photoshop Forum for Wacom and Lag . The are many threads see what others have written and done.  Without knowing how all thing are configured on you machine there nothing to write. Except it look like defaults do not work well with your stuff.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have looked at a number of threads as mentioned.

The issue is that the default settings were working fine until the most recent photoshop update, which seems to have caused the lag issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that all the defaults whatever they are are not working well now after the update. What did the update change? 

I can make my Wacom Intuos 5 lag if I want to.  Many setting on my machine are not the default setting.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont know what the update changed, it seems to say only that it's fixed customer issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps the update fix some problems it seems to have cause you to have a problem.  I use window 10 and windows 10 Preview. and have many version of Photoshop installed including CC 2017.1.1 I do not have and big lag issue.  If you make brush setting like spacing 1% and zoom way out to paint on the entire large image there will be some lag. Expect it. All default setting never work well for me.   My processors are only 2GHZ.  My machine handle Photoshop well it has 40GB of ECC Ram an SSD for paging and Photoshop scratch space.  However at time Photoshop can stress my machine all dual 6 core xeons 24 processors will be near 100% utilized and the ssd will be cranking as well.   Time for bed good night....

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well thank you again for listing a bunch of details about your machine, and I'm happy you don't have a lag issue, but I still do.

But again, the issue isn't that I'm doing too much with the program for the cpu/ ram to handle.

I can open a brand new document, and as soon as I use the stylus it will cause the program to become unresponsive. Especially when I attempt to use the buttons on the pen (such as right clicking to open the brush menu, or using ALT+right click to change brush size)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 13, 2017 Jun 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi stephena6726133,

i have the same issue - since the last update ps is big lagging, even a short freeze from time to time. After waiting a buch of seconds ps repeats the last action done while the freeze eg. undo or brushstrokes. It happens regularly... so it's hard to work in a fluid way!

My specs are close to yours: Intuos3, I74970,64GB Ram, 512 GB System SSD, 512GB SSD M2.Plextor only for caching, Nvidia TitanX(Pascal)...

Any solutions so far?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every thing need to be configured toe work together.  OS settings,  Wacom settings, Photoshop setting and device settings.  Large tip brushes with spacing set to 1% will lag.  Here is what My settings look like. I configure Wacom and Photoshop to use Wintab API for pen support for one of the versions of Photoshop I have installed is CS2 which only supports Wintab APIs. 

Intuos2016.jpg

The Photoshop versions I have installed on Windows.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello JJMack,

thanks a lot for your work - quite alot! But to be honest, i'm a professional in 2D and 3D since almost 16 years now, so i know a lot of settings...yeah i work on windows pc;-)).

Please don't misunderstand me: i can't exclude that every known (and unknown) trigger in registry etc. and switch in all drivers are properly set in conjunction to each other... But i think it's more than a clue, if i (and obviously other) did an update - and bang, some things aren't working as expected! I believe there are issues in the last updates and i hope it will be fixed in the next!

And only to clarify this: i checked the settings you mentioned (and even more)!

Since Adobe switched to this abo-model i have problems:-( I have never counted the hours i spent with fixing things (can someone remember the wacom problems and the workaround writing a config file for that? Or the library problem, the only help was killing CEP HTML Enginge tasks manually, etc etc..), but there were much ...

Imho Adobe software was much more stable in pre CC times without this cloud features. These things are nice, but working without problems is much nicer...

cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines