• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text Effects Animations Not Working...

Explorer ,
May 11, 2017 May 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My comp is not set to Ray-Traced, but it is set in Classic 3D.  This is imported text, layered styles, from Photoshop.  I read there was a patch in 2014, yet, same problems.  I just became a member of the Adobe CC world as of a month ago and thinking of giving it up as i read and have been experiencing many problems.  Any help please would be appreciated...

[Moved from the non-technical LOUNGE Forum to After Effects forum... Mod]

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 03, 2017 Jun 03, 2017

It gets weirder. Some things work and others don't. I tried three layers in Photoshop (besides the background). One had Color Overlay applied, one had Drop Shadow applied, and the other had nothing.

When I import the file into AE, I am finding all kinds of interesting things.

On the Color Overlay layer, Inner Glow, Outer Glow, Satin, and Bevel and Emboss can be applied, but Drop Shadow, Stroke, and Gradient Overlay can't,

The Drop Shadow layer wouldn't take Color Overlay, Gradient Overlay, Stroke,

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say they're "not working", please be a lot more specific. What, exactly, are you doing? And how is it not behaving in the way you expect?

Also, a month is not a long time to get familiar with software as complicated as After Effects. It's not like Photoshop where you can just poke at stuff for a while until you learn it; you have to go through some decent training first and expect it to be several months before you feel like you know what you're doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Enabling layer effects in AE does not bring in all of the layer styles you can get in Photoshop. It never has. Layer styles also can prevent certain other effects from working. The problems and work arounds for layer effects are fairly well documented in the help files and community resources you can find by typing "layer styles" or "import photoshop layer styles" in the search help field at the top right corner of After Effects. Since you have not provided any workflow or composition details or a screenshot of your problem with the modified properties of the layers involved (uu on the keyboard), I suspect that most of your problems are caused by the limitations imposed when using layer styles in AE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant enabling or using layer styles....

Dang, the edit post feature is busted again....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the edit post feature is busted again....

for me too, used iphone to edit back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry my question wasn't clear enough - but in general - simply stated as it was, layered styled type created in PS, opened in AE - none of the text animations work when placed on the type, none of them - in other words, don't animate.  But I have been using AE for several years, but I think you misunderstood or they way I phrased my question about AE CC - and that I just started using CC, not just AE.  Thanks though.  Appreciate your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As stated in prior responses, "Text Effects Animations" is a little unclear.  (Well, very unclear.)

If you're talking about PS Layer Styles not importing as AE Layer Styles, try choosing "merged" for the Layer Styles when you import the PS as a Composition.  Those styles should appear as they did in PS and you can always expand these to AE Layer Styles later (Layer > Layer Styles > Convert to Editable Styles); however, if you're using Pattern Overlay in PS you will have to recreate that manually.  You'll want to use the Layer Styles "Create Layers" option in PS prior to importing your PS file into AE (I usually do this in a duplicate PS file as this rasterizes the Layer Style).  The same goes for any Layer Styles that can be applied more than once in PS like Stroke, Inner Shadow, Color Overlay, Gradient Overlay and Drop Shadow as AE only supports them being applied once.

If you're talking about Text Animation in AE (Animation > Animate Text), you have to convert your PS type layer(s) into  AE text layer(s) in order to apply an Animator.  In your Comp, select the layer that's PS type and choose Layer > Convert to Editable Text.  Then, apply an Animator or a Text Animation Preset.

-Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - I'll give it a go.  Also... thank you Rick Gerard for your response as well, but I have an older version of AE and layer styles indeed transfer from PS and work and animate... For me, it was just about what was different in CC than my older AE.  Do appreciate all your replies.  Very much appreciated.  It wasn't a knock against CC - I just thought from what I read that there were bugs with it.  I'll proceed on...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2017 Jun 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to add to this post. I am having a similar problem. I will try to keep this as simple as possible. I made a square in PS. Added a color overlay layer style. Import the PSD into AE using "editable layer styles" When I open the layer in AE and twirl down layer styles, you see the color overlay. You can adjust it and change it with no problems. Now the issue is coming when I go to add a new layer style like drop shadow. It does not show up. All the fields are there to adjust but no drop shadow. This applies for any layer style applied to this layer, even a new color overlay. I can import a new psd file with no layer style applied and I can apply layer styles in AE with no problem. I can create a shape within AE and copy and paste layer styles from layer not working, and they work on shape created within AE. Anyone else having issues like this???? I am using AE CC 17.2. I upgraded from CC14 and had no issues with layers styles. They are all new with CC17.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now the issue is coming when I go to add a new layer style like drop shadow. It does not show up.

where are you adding your drop shadow? in photoshop? or in Ae? once you imported your footage, new layer styles added to the Ps layer won't be added to Ae. show a full screenshot of your Ps layer style interface vs Ae's layer style twirled down in the timeline so we can examine how exactly are things messing up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

correct. I am adding the layer styles in AE after the import.

Im trying to figure out if there is a bug because old projects that had layer effects added in photoshop and imported into AE worked fine in AE CC14. I open the same project in AE CC17.2 and the only layer style that works is the top layer style, the rest under it do not work.

Again, this is only an issue with psd files imported that have a psd layer style applied. Creating a clean shape in AE and copy and pasting the same layer styles from the non-working imported file from PSD, they work. im not in front of my computer or i would send screen shots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

please specify the exact steps to reproduce this bug. I will try it in my system. also provide screenshots when you can.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

He did give the steps to recreate it.

Simply apply a color overlay layer style to a layer in Photoshop and then import it to AE. You can't add the drop shadow layer style to it in AE. I mean, you can add it, but it does nothing. Which is just plain weird.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well give this guy a beer, he managed to break after effects. apparently there's a bug with Ps layer styles and they are broken to some degree. pixel layers come with the the layer styles but you can't add Ae's layer styles on top of it. please submit a bug report here: Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2017 Jun 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am just glad I am not crazy!!! Thanks guys for looking into it. I would say im happy but what sucks is prior projects that have to be converted are carrying over this issue, and unless you are familiar with the project, you dont know something is wrong. Ill be submitting a report. Also, Roei, I live in Philly so Ill take that beer next time your in town.

Thanks again!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 07, 2017 Jun 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
what sucks is prior projects that have to be converted are carrying over this issue, and unless you are familiar with the project, you dont know something is wrong.

bugs have a tendency to creep out on you like that. now that we know about it, we can show the team where to fix it and all thanks to you. the community works if you work it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It gets weirder. Some things work and others don't. I tried three layers in Photoshop (besides the background). One had Color Overlay applied, one had Drop Shadow applied, and the other had nothing.

When I import the file into AE, I am finding all kinds of interesting things.

On the Color Overlay layer, Inner Glow, Outer Glow, Satin, and Bevel and Emboss can be applied, but Drop Shadow, Stroke, and Gradient Overlay can't,

The Drop Shadow layer wouldn't take Color Overlay, Gradient Overlay, Stroke, or Inner Shadow, but it will take Inner Glow, Outer Glow, Satin, and Bevel and Emboss.

It seems I can apply any/all layer styles to the nothing layer.

Also of note, choosing to "Convert to Editable Layer Styles" on any of layers with PS layer styles results in all of the AE-applied layer styles disappearing again.

This looks like a bug that should be reported. www.adobe.com/go/wish

I plan to file a bug report and suggest you do too, derekr78​ (and anybody else who finds this a problem).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines