• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Resolution on large custom document? URGENT

New Here ,
May 13, 2017 May 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created a custom size document in Photoshop 50cm by 150cm, I started working in it but when I zoomed in I found it very pixelated. I'm wondering if this is to do with the resolution? Any help/ answers would be much appreciated Thankyou!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 13, 2017 May 13, 2017

I've made a few "walk-up" wallpapers, panels and banners in my time, and my experience is that 100 ppi is always enough to give a very sharp, crisp and detailed impression. You never walk as closely up to these things as you could. You'll still want to take in a fair proportion of the whole.

Consider this: the current state of the art in DSLRs is about 7000 - 8000 pixels long side. You need to use an incredibly sharp lens, as well as impeccable photographic skills, to fully utilize that resolutio

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

50cm X150cm tells nothing. You need to state the pixel dimension. That size image could be any size based on the pixels per inch (PPI).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

300 pixels/centimetre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Chuck point out it all about resolution  how many pixels you have to hold image details.  How many pixels did you create tot 50CM x 150CM document?

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see what you mean about the sizing, I changed it to pixels/centimetre and made it 300

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll be printing it on a large format printer and just want to make sure I have a setting that when I print it comes out clear and not pixelated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

View the image at 100% view. That is the most accurate view. 300 pixels per centimeter is a very high resolution that should print beautifully -- IF that is the original resolution, and not an interpolated resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This poster is about 5ft high and presumably it will be viewed from a distance. You therefore can reduce the resolution quite a bit  say 150 PPI (pixels per inch) or even less.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well it is for an exhibition and has lots of intricate detail that will be viewed quite closely, Although I am worried that such high resolution will slow down my mac or become too large of a file to save - would you still recommend lowering the resolution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try 3000px x 9000px (overall size) but of course any images you include must have sufficient resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to have it set at the right size that it is going to be printed at and that changed the size of the document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The print size will be the image dimensions divided by the resolution. Use Image > Image Size in Photoshop to create the dimensions and resolution mix.

(For example an image that's say 900 pixels by 600 pixels at 300PPI will print 3 inches by 2 inches.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've made a few "walk-up" wallpapers, panels and banners in my time, and my experience is that 100 ppi is always enough to give a very sharp, crisp and detailed impression. You never walk as closely up to these things as you could. You'll still want to take in a fair proportion of the whole.

Consider this: the current state of the art in DSLRs is about 7000 - 8000 pixels long side. You need to use an incredibly sharp lens, as well as impeccable photographic skills, to fully utilize that resolution. Nobody ever complained that there isn't enough pixels in these sensors!

Such a file, at 150 cm long side, resolves around 120 pixels per inch.

My rule of thumb is that a high-quality file from these cameras, carefully prepared, will work for anything. If it's a "showpiece" designed to impress, and it's several meters in width, I may use composite files up to 20000 pixels or so, but that's rarely necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2017 May 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi thanks for all the help and info!! I'm actually creating an illustration not printing photographs though so should come out okay I'm hoping!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 14, 2017 May 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Photo or illustration, it's all the same. However, with an Illustration, you can often create an image that's not tied to the size of a camera's chip size. So you can make it as big as your system can handle. Many people create illustrations in parts in different files, as the size can get too large. This also allows you to make the various parts much larger to create fine detail that would be hard to create in a smaller file. It looks more realistic if you can reduce the res for the final image. Such as the parts for the below image:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines