• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What are some tips for projection-mapping designs? Can volumetric light be projected?

Participant ,
May 13, 2017 May 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on a big project that involves projection-mapping a small auditorium.  I'm was using Madmapper for the actual mapping, but I've figured out that I need to use a design software like AE to actually create compelling illusions.  Right now, I'm refining my workflow between the two softwares by exporting a layout of my mapped objects in Madmapper and importing it into AE (keeping res consistent).  My issue is that I'm having trouble with creating interesting designs. I've tried solid color layers with glow effects, as well as some basic experimentation with sound responsive particles.  Also, I've stumbled on a bunch of tutorials for volumetric lighting.  I'm wondering, can I project volumetric lights that are designed to be "fake" stage or spotlights?  My premise is a Queen throwback "concert" that involves mapped imagery and music, with no live performers. But I'm still falling short of creating any sort of compelling illusions. Is there anybody here with experience in AE for projection mapping purposes? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 14, 2017 May 14, 2017

Most evente management/ tradeshow booth builders should have connections to suppliers where they get their cover cloths, carpets and specialty fabrics. You might also try large format printing facilities that produce hanging banners and tapestries. They use similar materials that could be used.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
May 14, 2017 May 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re-creating lighting effects requires strong beamers or else it will simply look like a VHS tape played on a home projector. You will also need reasonably large straight surfaces to get consistent rendering of volumetric beams and such. Since you speak of a small auditorium, I'm assuming you're not going to use that many projectors, anyway. The rest really depends too much on knowing the exact layout and geometry. Perhaps there's some columns or ceiling Beams that need to be considered, perhaps there's a specific floor design. Impossible to come up with specific ideas without knowing these things and then of course in the technical sense designing across multiple projectors would be another challenge...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How many lumen would you consider a "strong Beamer"? I was thinking of renting a high end projector just for the event and using my own standard 3k lumen for the testing/work but it seems like these companies only rent to big clients.  id be projecting only on the front wall of the auditorium, and possibly on some reflective fabric as well as an assortment of abstract shapes.  unfortunately im still in the planning phase so I don't know the exact layout. There are no ceiling beams or columns to consider. I will update with some pictures of the space later.  But for now, can you tell me how many lumen you suggest, and also is there any type of fabric screen material that lends itself to "ghostly" or almost holographic imagery?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A "strong" beamer is 7.5k lumen and above. Anything below 5k are toys. For the screen you would use fireproof theater flannel/ tull/ mesh with a reasonable density and a definable/ measurable white point for calibration.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!! This is all very helpful info. Would you happen to know where one could find that specific sort of fabric?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Most evente management/ tradeshow booth builders should have connections to suppliers where they get their cover cloths, carpets and specialty fabrics. You might also try large format printing facilities that produce hanging banners and tapestries. They use similar materials that could be used.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines