• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Will InDesign CC 2017 import a PDF of a 17th century book for indexing and annotating?

New Here ,
May 13, 2017 May 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am thinking of buying Id 2017 for my Mac. I need to import a PDF of a 17th century book for indexing and annotating. Will the app do this?

I tried to import an OCR scanned digitized PDF of a 17th Century book to index, annotate, and create an ePub with an active index, but Id refused to import it. I saw mention of script that might import the file but I have not been able to find it. Is it  possible to do what I want with this app? Could someone please give me a lead as to where I can find this script? I even looked on Google for it. I saw mentions of it but nowhere to download one compatible with this version of Id.

Thanks folks! Please forgive my bother but I'm near 70 and can use all the help I can get. Photoshop I can handle but this all very new to me.

JT

[Moved from the non-technical LOUNGE Forum to a Program forum... Mod]

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

[Title edited for clarity and brevity by Moderator]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 13, 2017 May 13, 2017

As BobLevine mentioned, results will vary. I've found that many times what at first seems like the longest method (exporting the text) often turns out to be the fastest and most accurate method. Actually, I prefer to copy and paste the text in smaller pieces because sometimes the text can get scrambled. Working in smaller pieces I can keep track of it more easily.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it won’t. It will place it as a static object. You’ll need to export the text out of the PDF and bring it back into InDesign.

You could try one of the PDF converters such as PDF2ID but results will vary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the advise. I will download a trial of PDF2ID. Is that the best of the converters?

JT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As BobLevine mentioned, results will vary. I've found that many times what at first seems like the longest method (exporting the text) often turns out to be the fastest and most accurate method. Actually, I prefer to copy and paste the text in smaller pieces because sometimes the text can get scrambled. Working in smaller pieces I can keep track of it more easily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines