• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

losing my [cursing removed] with photoshop... (Missing Layers?)

New Here ,
May 14, 2017 May 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello (please help me)...

I'm close to throwing my mac out the window now!

I've created my resume in photoshop, I've created a two page document and am now looking to save the psd to pdf format. I've managed to save the back page in high quality and in lowest the quality with no trouble (or any noise around text/shapes). Lowest quality is important as many applications have small file limits.

NOW.. I go to save the front page and for some reason i've got some layers that appear in photoshop but just not on the pdf format (they're basically missing). I've tried everything, the only solution I have come up with is to rasterize the missing layers (which gives it loads noise/makes the text unreadable). So i'm back to square one????

I'm at a loss.. and before anyone tells me I should have used indesign, I know but I don't hold a sub to it and only currently have photoshop at my disposal.

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS?

Thanks!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , May 14, 2017 May 14, 2017

Its not just Photoshop that doesn't always convert to PDF perfectly. Most of the other Adobe programs also have issues.

Couple of thoughts but without seeing your document it is guess work.

Try reordering certain layers if that's possible.

Can you merge any layers without loss?

What method are you using to achieve a PDF? People often forget you can print to PDF which in certain cases can overcome some issues.

Can you save out to another non-loss format like EPS and then convert that to PDF?

If none o

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To make things worse.. I can't get through to Adobe (chat is always offline, even after using multiple browsers) and I'm currently travelling and don't have the money to call their helpline internationally...

You are my (and my macbook's) last hope..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its not just Photoshop that doesn't always convert to PDF perfectly. Most of the other Adobe programs also have issues.

Couple of thoughts but without seeing your document it is guess work.

Try reordering certain layers if that's possible.

Can you merge any layers without loss?

What method are you using to achieve a PDF? People often forget you can print to PDF which in certain cases can overcome some issues.

Can you save out to another non-loss format like EPS and then convert that to PDF?

If none of those work the  give some more guidance on the layer that's missing. Eg. Is it text, a smart object etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok James - you're my last hope then. I've tried reordering the layers, but i've had no luck there. My method to achieve the PDF format is to 'save as' and then select the lowest quality available. This has worked perfectly with the back page (which fyi is a very similar make up and composition to the front page). Like I said if i rasterize the missing layers, seems to work (but ruins the text).

Another EPS.. not sure what that is, but will give it a go (main thing is reducing the file size) and try that method. I'm ore than happy to upload the file to see if others can figure out a solution whilst looking at the file?

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Firstly don't take any notice of the previous poster's suggestions, for example, EPS in an obsolete format.

Secondly using Photoshop, which is an image editing application, is not the best program to produce a text heavy (presumably) Resume.

Definitely use InDesign and produce the PDF by using the InDesign Acrobat PDF Presets (not print to PDF).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a solution to his problem. If you read it he doesn't have InDesign. He is already aware that In Design is probably the better program but he is after a solution to his problem.

Next, not sure what world you live in but EPS file are not obsolete, especially not in the design world. Most common file type out there for logos and vectors so please do back up your statement with facts. They are rarely used in Photoshop admitted, but again I'm trying to find a solution for him.

If you can't post anything useful, then just don't post at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Appreciate your input Derek, however i'm currently unable to use in design and therefore looking for a photoshop solution. Will look to use indesign in the future.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A little further on... the more I shuffle the layers, the more different layers begin appearing/disappearing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why don't you make a copy of the PSD and flatten the image?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did work.. but unfortunately produced such an awful amount of noise that lots of text was unreadable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might be worth producing your Resume in MSWord and creating your PDF from that – I expect you'll get much clearer text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Couple of more thoughts.

If it is a text layer that's causing an issue,  you could create that as a separate file in Photoshop, then place it in as a smart object.

Also,  try exporting at highest or standard quality as a test. If you can get it to export normally at a different setting then you can resolve the file size later.

If your PSD file is not too big, there are sites that convert files into PDF for free so that is also another option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm with Derek. Let's not pretend that Photoshop is a suitable tool for this, because it isn't. If you still insist on doing it there, you simply have to accept workarounds and kludges to even make it work. This is just the reality.

As for EPS it is outdated. The reason it's still used is that PDF feels like overkill for a simple logo. But PDF can do anything EPS can (and a lot more).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Appreciate the responses and help. I've solved the issue. I'm unfortunately however still not being understood... It was never said that Photoshop was a 'suitable' tool for the task, just the only tool available to me. I didn't/don't have a choice, I've not got the funds (neither am I one for illegal torrents) for InDesign and only currently have a subscription to Photoshop.

After about 35 'save as' attempts, I cleaned up all the unused layers, grouped others and then began shuffling the order of them. Through a lot of trial and error, I finally came out with a clean, small file sized PDF from the PSD file (highest quality still had the same issue). It all came down to re-ordering all my layers. Couldn't find any logic to the order unfortunately.

Thanks James for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not a problem, and glad you got it solved.

I have kept off this forum for a while because there are too many people who just want to tell you what you are doing wrong rather than looking at the situation. You are in and trying to help you through it.

They forget that for some people the full Adobe suite is just not financially accessible

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines