• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New install of Acrobat Reader DC (Ver: 17.009.20044). Cannot check for Update?

Apr 23, 2017 Apr 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I downloaded the latest version of Reader DC (ver 17.009.20044).  The install seemed to run/complete ok - I was able to start Acrobat Reader DC.  I am also able to open and use several PDF files without any problems. 

I am running Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) (Ver/Rel: 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601).

I decided to check for any possible updates for Acrobat Reader DC and immediately got the following failure (in a separate Window):

Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe

Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file.  You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

The path appears to be correct - verified by looking at it with WInidws Explorer.  I've tried restarting Acrobat Reader DC as Administrator but get the same error message. I did check the Acrobat Reader DC permissions and allowed full control for all users (administrator, system, etc.) - had no affect on this failure.

I've never had issues with Adobe product installations before and do not know why this is accuring. Has anyone seen this before or can provide me with some ideas on troubleshooting this problem?

Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 64ironhead,

Could you please try troubleshooting steps mentioned in the link given below?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2669244/-windows-cannot-access-the-specified-device,-path,-...

If that doesn't work, try removing Reader DC using Cleaner tool found here: Download Adobe Reader and Acrobat Cleaner Tool - Adobe Labs

Restart the computer.

Download and install Reader DC from here: Adobe - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Distribution

Keep us posted with the results.

Thanks,

Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 24, 2017 Apr 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shivam,

Thanks for providing the steps outlined in your reply. I made no assumptions and followed all of the steps in the order you provided them. Unfortunately, I still get the same Windows permissions error when I try to do a manual Adobe update.

In using Acrobat Reader DC in reading several PDF files, I occasionally get the Window permissions error - seems like this product is trying to access the update path according to some setting - haven't found it yet so I can turn that 'off' until we figure this problem out.

Let me know if there's something else I can try.

Thanks and best regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you try this -

1. Create folder C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0

2. Copy AdobeARM.exe from C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0 into new folder.

3. Check for updates

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi LeoAdobeX,

I performed the three steps you suggested and it still fails with Windows not being able to access the file.

Appreciate your input!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear it did not work. I remember this suggestion has helped someone with similar issue before.

One more question-

If you right click on C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe and select Run as Administrator, do you see the same error? What happens if you simply double click on it, without "run as admin" ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 25, 2017 Apr 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I did try to do that too. Not sure why this is happening since I've never had issues with Adobe before. I can use the product - just can't do updates.  I suppose I'll have to manually delete the program and reinstall it every time there's a new release/update.

Thanks for your input!  I do appreciate the responses I've received in trying to resolve this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 13, 2017 May 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi 64ironhead,

Sorry for the delay in response.

Could you please try troubleshooting steps suggested in the links below?

error message reader x need permissions to update ()

Re: Persistent AdobeArm failure to update

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines