• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can tell me how to move my photos from my mac laptop hard drive to my external hard drive?

New Here ,
May 13, 2017 May 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to move all my photos that were originally downloaded on my mac laptop to my external hard drive but be able to edit all my photos going forward from the external hard drive.  My mac has no more memory and I can't upgrade.

I have been importing all my photos to the external recently but want to move all the photos previously to the external but still be able to edit from the external.

Thank you for any help!

Very frustrated!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 13, 2017 May 13, 2017

I suggest you use the Mac File Manager program, Finder, to move both the files and the folders they are in to the external drive then in LR use either "Update Folder Location" or "Find missing files" to tell LR they are now on the external drive.

Updating the Folder Location in Lightroom « Julieanne Kost's Blog

Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

I have found that using LR to move many files and folder from one drive to another may work or not and which if for some reason it

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
May 13, 2017 May 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest you use the Mac File Manager program, Finder, to move both the files and the folders they are in to the external drive then in LR use either "Update Folder Location" or "Find missing files" to tell LR they are now on the external drive.

Updating the Folder Location in Lightroom « Julieanne Kost's Blog

Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

I have found that using LR to move many files and folder from one drive to another may work or not and which if for some reason it doesn't work properly you can lose image file. Using the OS File manager works every time and then re-link them to where they were moved inside LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 14, 2017 May 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The best method is given at this link, in detail along with screen captures:  Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders Scroll down to the section entitled "Part 2 — Updating Folder Location".

I agree with previous post, moving photos inside of Lightroom has been prone to errors, and photos have been reported to disappear. Moving/copying photos using your operating system and re-connecting inside of Lightroom is a much safer method.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines