• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Nikon D750/ Lightroom 4/ Raw files

Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2017 May 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone, I have got some questions about processing raw files from my Nikon D750 with Lightroom 4. I have read a lot of websites and discussion and I am just too daft to understand

1. Can Lightroom 4 import and edit raw files (provided it is up-to-date)?

2. When I try to import raw files it says 'This file is not recognised by the raw format support in Lightroom'. Is it the problem of my Lr or my camera a bit newer than the Lr?

3. What would be the solution to process and edit photos with Lr?

4. I have seen suggestions to download a DNG converter. If this is the only solution, what version I should download?

5. Or do I simply just buy the latest version of Lr?

I much appreciate with your help and look forward to your kind advice.

Many thanks!

Sinmei

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 13, 2017 May 13, 2017

Adobe updates their raw camera files processing applications, Adobe Camera Raw and Lightroom approximately every three months. Their updates/upgrades provide support for new Camera Models. The link below indicates the application necessary for your particular Camera Model, for the Nikon D750 you will see that ACR 8.7 / Lightroom 5.7 is when support was added.

In addition Adobe also updates the Adobe DNG Converter a free application, which will allow users of earlier versions of ACR/LR to convert

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 13, 2017 May 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe updates their raw camera files processing applications, Adobe Camera Raw and Lightroom approximately every three months. Their updates/upgrades provide support for new Camera Models. The link below indicates the application necessary for your particular Camera Model, for the Nikon D750 you will see that ACR 8.7 / Lightroom 5.7 is when support was added.

In addition Adobe also updates the Adobe DNG Converter a free application, which will allow users of earlier versions of ACR/LR to convert their raw files from their camera model to DNG format files which they can then work with in the version of ACR/ LR that they have.

Lightroom is now at version 6 (six) that means that there will be no further to LR versions 1 through 5.

Cameras supported by Camera Raw

So for the Nikon D 750 file it is necessary to upgrade to LR 6 or use the DNG Converter 9.10 the latest to convert the raw files to DNG format.

See this link for info on the DNG Converter.

DNG Pros, Cons and Myths | Photoshop Blog by Adobe

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2017 May 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi DdeGannes

Thank you very much for your reply and it a lot more sense to me!

One more last question is... Does that mean I will have to keep upgrading or download new DNG converter every now and then?

Many thanks again!

Regards

Sin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once you upgrade to a version of LR that supports the camera you are using you never have to upgrade again unless you want to or you buy a new camera that the version of LR you are using doesn't support.

Once you download a version of the DNG converter that supports your camera you don't have to download or install any newer version unless you buy a new camera that the version of the DNG converter you are using doesn't support.

But if you subscribe to the Creative Cloud Photographs plan LR will always be updated/upgraded to the most current version. Whether a Point release or a completely new version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Thank you so much for your explanation! I am also tempted to subscribe to the CC plans. Think that is more of a long term solution!

For now I will download a converter or get Lr 6.

Many thanks for your advice!! much appreciate it

Kind Regards

Sin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Software applications for the processing of RAW file data from digital cameras is being regularly improved and updated.

Lightroom/ ACR has gone through three different process versions 2003, 2010, 2012 and it i possible there could be a new version in the works (just my opinion). Since one of the reasons I keep my original raw files is that there is always the opportunity to revisit files in the future and benefit from improved processing engines and tools e.g. sharpening and noise reduction.

So if you keep LR/ ACR up to date there would be no need for the DNG converter, as a matter of fact the DNG converter gets updated in the same cycle with LR/ACR.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi DdeGannes

Thank you so much for your advice. I have a much better understanding how everything cooperates now!

Will follow your advice and thank you for the articles

Kind Regards

Sin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines