Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

TIF to PSD creates errors

Participant ,
May 10, 2017 May 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys,

I've encountered a problem with TIF to PSD conversion that's new to me. I got a series of scans that were saved as TIFs. I need certain separate elements of the scans, so I was going to copy them out of the files afterwards. Turns out this doesn't work the way it's supposed to be: I can open the TIFs alright, they look alright, I can copy parts of them into new files - but when I try to save these new files, I get an "unknown software error". With some of the files (those that aren't in Bitmap mode from the outset) I also get the same error when I try to convert them to Bitmap mode.

Got a sample file here in case you want to replicate the issue (120 KB, PSD format):

https://ufile.io/wup75

(It's all white and a bit of random black noise.)

Anybody an idea how this issue arises?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 15, 2017 May 15, 2017

RauPP  wrote

Hm, sure! I'm aware of the original meaning of the term bitmap and that it does not refer to the BMP file format in this case. However, you should still be able to, for example, save a file, right? Now take the file I had attached in my original post, select a certain area within it and copy it into a new file (Ctrl + C, Ctrl + N, confirm, Ctrl + V). If your Photoshop reacts the same as mine, you will not even be able to save this new file.

The thing is your description is wrong. You

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The mode of the PSD is bitmap so it can not have layers. What can you tell us about the Tiff file you created the psd from and the steps you did to create the psd

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, there are certainly no problems with this PSD. It saves back to TIFF normally, and the TIFF again opens normally.

What specific issues should I look for with this file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, you two, for responding!

JJ, the files are black and white scans created with HP Solution Center, the standard scanning app that comes with most HP scanners. They are single-layered tifs with a size of about 5000 x 7000 Pixels each, 600 dpi, about 5,5 MB per file. The PSDs were created by simply opening the tifs in Photoshop and then saving in PSD format. (I don't own the rights to text and image content in the files, so I had to upload a smaller portion of one of the files without any of either, but that shouldn't have any impact on the technical issue.)

D Fosse, the problem is not with the file itself, but with the files I copy into from this file. The files contain text, images and the like that I need to separate into individual files. So I make a selection in the original file, copy, create a new file (using clipboard settings) and paste there. That's when the error messages start: "Can't paste due to a software error" (It still pastes for some reason. Interestingly, the pasting can not be reverted.). Then I try to convert the pasted image into Bitmap Mode (as they were grayscale): "Task could not be completed due to software error." So instead, I try saving the new file: "Couldn't create overview due to software error." (And the new file could not be saved.)

It's bizarre to me because the problem does only appear as soon as I start pasting stuff from the original file to new ones. Suspecting that it may be an issue with my OS or software environment I got my laptop out which also runs Photoshop 2017, but the error replicated there without any difference.

Now, this is not a pressing issue, I can safely work on these files on a later date. After working on the problem for about two hours, checking various potential causes, and spending another 30 mins googling if anybody else had encountered similar issues, I was out of ideas for the moment and decided to share it with you guys to see if this is something common or if I had just overlooked something trivial.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the TIFF file mode is Bitmap change to more to grayscale or change the PSD file endit mode to grayscale.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, that works! Any idea why copying out of a file in Bitmap mode causes errors?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 14, 2017 May 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was anybody able to reproduce the error with the file I had attached above?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 14, 2017 May 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop is a document editor it open files into a Photoshop document.  If the file format has a Bitmap mode image that is what it will open in Photoshop.  A document in Bitmap modes does not support layers. Layers is where all Photoshop power is. Change the mode to Grayscale.  What good is a flat PSD file. If the Bitmap Tiff files are from a scanner's software see it that scanner software can produce Grayscale or RGB Color mode images.

You only posted a bitmap mode PSD you never poster one of your Tif files.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 15, 2017 May 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's true, but the TIFFs shouldn't even be necessary to reproduce the error. The PSD files derived from the TIFFs produce the same errors, at least for me; as does the PSD I had attached above.

Changing the mode to grayscale did indeed solve my problem, thank you very much The only reason I'm still following the topic now is that I'm interested in how the error came to be and if others encounter them, too. If so, we might want to inform Adobe about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMO there is no problem its a limitation of Bitmap documents Photoshop will preserve a document mode creating new file from the current document.  If the Tiff is a Bitmap image saving a PSD file will also be bitmap image.  Bitmap is a different image format.  Its not a BMP  a Tif file a jpg file it is  a Mode like LAB, RGB,  etc.  Photoshop is an image editor a document editor not a file editor.   What Photoshop features are available in different image mode varies,  Layers are not an available feature editing in bitmap mode.  You can not add a layer in bitmap mode.

Capture.jpg.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hm, sure! I'm aware of the original meaning of the term bitmap and that it does not refer to the BMP file format in this case. However, you should still be able to, for example, save a file, right? Now take the file I had attached in my original post, select a certain area within it and copy it into a new file (Ctrl + C, Ctrl + N, confirm, Ctrl + V). If your Photoshop reacts the same as mine, you will not even be able to save this new file.

The error is definitely linked to color mode, you're absolutely right about that. For example, when you create the new file in Bitmap mode (Ctrl + C, Ctrl + N, switch from Grayscale mode to Bitmap mode, confirm, Ctrl + V), the file will work fine, probably because you're copying from a file in Bitmap mode to another file in Bitmap mode.

In essence, the error (and I still see it as a software error) seems to occur when you copy from a file in Bitmap mode to one in Grayscale mode. But it doesn't happen with all files: These scans were the first time I encountered the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RauPP  wrote

The thing is your description is wrong. You can not do that.  That is for sure.

Ctrl+C Copies your Bitmap image to the clipboard

Ctrl+N Create a new document  The default will default to the current Clipboard size. When you confirm it the new document will be added into Photoshop with a background layer that size.

Ctrl+V Paste in a new layer.

The problem is you can not have layers with Bitmap mode images.   So the bitmap image can not be pasted into the document you just created with Ctrl+N.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh, alright. I see. That makes total sense. Fantastic, man, that was the missing piece in the puzzle.

So to be more precise, it's possible to perform the series of actions as I described (I've done it many times in the last couple of days), but the fact that this wrecks the new file is unsurprising seeing the nature of Bitmap files.

See, I was wondering "Why is Mack harping on about the layers, it's a color mode problem or one with the copy subroutines". That pasting into a new document would of course create a new layer, one not supported by the color mode, that's where I got my wires crossed.

Thanks for your patience, man, I'm sorry it took a while ^^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines