• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Export As - options to preserve the metadata in the file (keywords, etc)

Participant ,
Oct 10, 2019 Oct 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Photoshop, when you go to Export, Export As, and choose a jpeg, it says you can include the copyright and contact info, but what about keywords, description and other pertinent info?  All that stuff gets stripped out of the file when using this Export As function, creating more work. What gives Adobe?  That makes no sense.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
45 Comments
New Here ,
May 15, 2017 May 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I open a picture about adobe bridge or Explorer in photoshop and "export" it or use "export it for web" as an jpeg, then I lost whole EXIF details.
I click the metadata button, but there is always nothing in the jpeg´s. If I save it with "save as", then I have all the EXIF Data, but the image size is 1-2mb smaler.
I hope you can help me ? Because I don´t find something in the Internet or Forum about this Problem.
screenshot.2.jpgscreenshot.3.jpg

Here some Screenshots: Thanks a lot! Alexander

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I click the metadata button, but there is always nothing in the jpeg´s. If I save it with "save as", then I have all the EXIF Data, but the image size is 1-2mb smaler.

Are you saying Save As produces smaller jpgs than Save for Web?

What are the exact and complete settings you use?

In Save for Web there is the Metadata option »All« – have you tried that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to keep the metadata, don't use Export As  - use Save for Web (Legacy) and choose metadata - All.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I don´t see the function "All"
But why does it not work with export?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, save as ist smaller, pls take a Look .
screenshot.2.jpgscreenshot.3.jpg
Both in High Quality 100%
With the function "All" it works. But strange that you can´t get the exif details with "Export" .
Thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GT86Alexander  wrote

Thank you, I don´t see the function "All"
But why does it not work with export?!

Hi

In Save for Web (Legacy) the option is here:

Unfortunately, Export As is incomplete and does not have the controls that Save for Web has.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your quick answers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Josh,

When Export As was being developed (by a group outside the Photoshop team) - I requested similar levels of metadata control as Save for Web but it never happened. The answer is to use Save For Web if you can.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's exactly why so many of us stick with Save for Web. A shame, really. If they would incorporate all the features of SFW into Export As, it would be a nice feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not just use Save As?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Why not just use Save As?

Save as has almost no control over optimization, unlike SFW, and doesn't work with layers. It doesn't save each artboard/layer to multiple sizes at the same time. AI does even more at once, but Export As is useful for more than saving a single image at a time.

I just used it today—opening multiple PNG files into the same document, recoloring them, then using Quick Export As PNG (my choice in Export As preferences) from the layers panel with the layers selected. It took no time to open, some creative time, no time to save them all separately again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because I have a massive layered file in AdobeRGB, and I want to spit out a JPEG quickly that is sized down for email, in sRGB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeff.  Why does both of these tools -Export and Save for Web - both have the 'embed profile' turned off as a default?  Wouldn't you want the color profile on all the time? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
Oct 11, 2019 Oct 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff, that's very interesting to hear!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pro-tip: don't use export as for large files. If you need to scale/save efficiently, use image processor pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Image processor pro? that would be great if something like that was built into PS.  I'm a college Photoshop instructor and I need things like that IN photoshop. installing a plug in is a whole other can of worms.  To be honest, I don't use Export As because of the lack of features in it, I still scale in PS, Convert to PS, and save a jpeg.  However I require my students to turn in layered files along with 'social media' ready jpegs and Export As could potentially be perfect for them.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop is a slave to many masters. Save for Web and Export As probably bow down to UI/Web designers more than photographers where file size preferred and assumed sRGB is good enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 29, 2019 Dec 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

I'd like to use the Export As... option (CMD+ALT+SHIFT+W) when exporting to JPEG or PNG. Onle of the advantages of this is not having the spaces between words in the filename replaced with a hyphen. Ho

wever, this option doesn't export any of the informaiion stored in File Info....

Metadata options in "Save for Web (Legacy)...Metadata options in "Save for Web (Legacy)...

While making the video to illustrate the issue, it dawned on me that the only thing that's required is for Export As... to have the same metadata options as Save for Web (Legacy)... After all, the functionality should be the same, regardless of which method is used... right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way... I'm using PhotoshopCC 2020, version 21.0.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lack of metadata preservation was reported when the whole "Export As" thing was still in beta - many years ago - and the programming team have completely ignored the problem ever since. Despite being the creator of XMP and a "leadership circle" member of the PLUS metadata coalition, Adobe simply don't care anymore.

If you want metadata stick with the "legacy" Save For Web tool and pray it doesn't vanish in the next update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe simply don't care anymore

Being the optimist that I am, I'm really trying [my best] not to believe that.
I appreciate your reply, Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If even the senior product manager can't get the programmers to implement it, "don't care" is the polite way to put it!

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/export-as-does-not-preserve-all-the-metadata-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 30, 2019 Dec 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then they probably need to remember that this is the first thing listed on their pricing page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 30, 2019 Dec 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand.
Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,
Dec 31, 2019 Dec 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@eartho : Is the Pro version still needed? Seems the default version that comes with PS is now ok? (or always was; from a too quick read I got the impression there was nothing to fix, as they misinterpreted Russell's Fit Image for Image Size...)

"We’ve been chatting with the incredibly talented X that now seems to own Image Processor Pro and we’ve had a break through. You no longer need our code. The latest version of the code works perfectly. All you need to do is specify the maximum pixel size of your desired image for both the width AND the high and the Processor works it all out. Superb news."  http://photoshopscaresme.com/new-version-russell-browns-image-processor-pro
- -
So, @joshua : Image Processor is free and in the File > Scripts list.
If that doesn't work somehow, the Pro is also free and seems it would appear under File > Automate when installed correctly.
In that case, maybe see here...
360 Photo Studios  |  Solution found to make Image Processor Pro and Photoshop CC 2019 to Work, again (2019)
http://youtu.be/ZcZqX5IZ0CU

Votes

Translate

Translate