• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

High CPU and "elevated process" after running lightroom CC

Community Beginner ,
May 15, 2017 May 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I have a Microsoft Surface book (512GB SSD, 16GB RAM, Nvidia dedicated graphics), with Lightroom and Photoshop updated to the current versions. Both have enable GPU acceleration enabled.  The surface book is running windows 10 with all updates applied.

Frequently Lightroom is left running for several hours, and eventually my computer develops a "stutter" - keyboard input is buffered and the screen doesn't update for a second or two.  If I check in task manager the system process (ID 4 ... not system idle !) is running at a steady 20-25% (i.e. one core). This continues even after I close Lightroom.  If I detach the base of the Surface Book - which removes the Nvidia graphics functionality I get a warning about elevated processes and if I continue, windows says it is terminating them and the system process returns to its normal 0-1% CPU. I can re-dock to the base, restart lightroom and everything is OK for anywhere been a few minutes and several hours.

I only get it if Lightroom is running, but I'm pretty sure it has started happening in recent weeks and wasn't there last year.

anyone seen similar behaviour or better still, got a fix ?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn off the option to use the GPU in the performance tab of the LR Preferences. The Surface doesn't need to have that enabled and shouldn't have it enabled. This has something to do with that setting in LR and the nVidia drive you are using.

That option in LR is for systems that are using 4-5 K monitors which I don't think any Surface has.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I tried turning it off in LR left it on in PS and got the same thing, but it may be because both were running. I will keep investigating. It certainly was possible to use GPU acceleration in both without this issue. I don't know which Microsoft or Adobe update broke that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines