• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exported PDF is from another Indesign file

Explorer ,
May 15, 2017 May 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help!  I just have a problem with InDesign that I have never had before in over 2 years of using InDesign.

I created an Indesign file off of another Indesign file using the Save As command (which I have done for over 2 years without any incident) as we needed slight modifications of the box design for a related product.

The InDesign file works great.

However, when I try to generate a PDF using either the PDF Presets or Export command from this new file, it keeps generating the PDF from the original file and not from the actual file that is open.  Really 'woo-woo'.

I have restarted InDesign and even the computer.  Still the same.  The only file open is the new file (with a different name than the old file).  But the PDF generated is completely ignoring the design from this new file and generating only from the original file that I did the Save As command with.

I need to send the PDF to the manufacturer for my client to start printing boxes from the new design and I can't get the PDF generated from the new file.

The design is quite complex and I don't have the time to start from scratch or copy item by item into a new file.

I have always used the Save As command for a long time and use InDesign on a daily basis so I am quite familiar with the application. 

Please somebody help.  Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saying that when you open the exported PDF in Acrobat, it looks like the previous design?

Or is it just that the name in the export box is from the old file, and you haven't looked at the PDF?

The name used in Export is sticky, so you would see the old file name in that dialog, but you can change it. I suspect that the actual PDF is from your current file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I don't have a problem with the naming of the PDF file and have actually used 3 different names.

I have the PDF to automatically open up upon creation.  Yes the opened exported PDF file looks exactly the same as the original InDesign file I used for the Save As and is not from the new modified file at all.  I have restarted the InDesign, Acrobat and my computer several times - to no avail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have a problem in name the PDF file and have used 3 different file names.

I have it set to automatically open the created PDF upon completion.  So no...I am not opening the wrong PDF file.

And yes, the actual inside of the opened PDF file is exactly the same as the original InDesign file I used the Save As command against.  Not at all from the new modified InDesign file.  And I don't even have the original file open in InDesign.  Just the new created InDesign file is open.  That's the only file so I am not accidentally creating the PDF from the original file.  I have restarted the InDesign and Adobe applications and my computer.  To no avail.

I use InDesign on a regular daily basis and have used the Save As command on a regular basis without any issues in the past.

I have designed over a 100 box designs for this client using InDesign application.  All okay until today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have InDesign set to open the PDF after export? Are you sure you’re not opening the wrong file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have a problem in name the PDF file and have used 3 different file names.

I have it set to automatically open the created PDF upon completion.  So no...I am not opening the wrong PDF file.

And yes, the actual inside of the opened PDF file is exactly the same as the original InDesign file I used the Save As command against.  Not at all from the new modified InDesign file.  And I don't even have the original file open in InDesign.  Just the new created InDesign file is open.  That's the only file so I am not accidentally creating the PDF from the original file.  I have restarted the InDesign and Adobe applications and my computer.  To no avail.

I use InDesign on a regular daily basis and have used the Save As command on a regular basis without any issues in the past.

I have designed over a 100 box designs for this client using InDesign application.  All okay until today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export the INDD file to IDML and then open that to work on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob.  I have exported and also tried Saving AS to IDML.  Guess what.  The same issue is also happening with the IDML file.  It is solely based on the original files' design and not taking it from the new file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is quite strange. Seems to me if it were a bug, it would be easily reproducible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it is very strange.  I have opened a case file with Adobe directly and sent them the files in question.  This has never happened to me before and is quite perplexing and frustrating as I have a deadline to send the new design to the printer in China for my client.  If I create a new file from scratch - all is okay.  Only if I create an INDD file from an existing INDD file using the Save As command does this issue happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please report back and let us know what Adobe finds out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all.  I have opened a case with Adobe directly on this issue and transferred the files in question to them to look at.  I have also tried generating an IDML file from the INDD file and the exact same problem is also happening with that IDML file in that it generates the design from the original file instead of from the new file.  So not just a PDF issue.

And yes I have opened the IDML file to look at it not just going by the name of the file.

Hopefully Adobe can get this sorted out for me quickly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 16, 2017 May 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds like black magic. There is no way (in my limited computer understanding) having an InDesign exported as a PDF and having that PDF showing up as a different file.

You are sure that the export paths are correct?

To eliminate the black magic:

Do your "save as" ... move the original files to a stick or external disk ... disconnect that disk.

Also: Look at the file creation and modification dates.

Also: Apply a watermark (with the master page design), something flashy to eliminate the possibility, that you are looking to the wrong places. I know it sounds silly, but it happened to me, that with slight changes, I did not distinguish the version a and b of my designs.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried exporting to PDF without auto-open?

Have you tried viewing the PDF in Reader, or Preview? perhaps it's Acrobat that is broken.

Have you tried creating a new empty file at the same size and placing the InDesign file into the new file? I have no idea if that would help, and it's not a fix, but it might allow you to get a PDF to your customer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Abambo  wrote

This sounds like black magic. There is no way (in my limited computer understanding) having an InDesign exported as a PDF and having that PDF showing up as a different file.…

FWIW: Years back, I've seen a similar thing with a IDML exchange between CS5.5 and CS5 where the exported IDML contained always an older saved status of the document. That was really weird. If I remember right there also was a book file involved where the CS5.5 document was part of and synchronizing contents was done with InDesign's book feature.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 08, 2017 Sep 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Laubender  wrote

FWIW: Years back, I've seen a similar thing with a IDML exchange between CS5.5 and CS5 where the exported IDML contained always an older saved status of the document.

But it appeared as this on screen...after the export, I assume. ​That​ is something I can believe without seeing...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2017 Sep 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem today; this happens when the exported file is the same name as the previous draft; Just export the PDF as a different file name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 08, 2017 Sep 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are sure that the PDF was not generated in a different directory?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Sep 07, 2017 Sep 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do the package, open file from package folder and try again.

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines