• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to add gradient to image

Community Beginner ,
May 15, 2017 May 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, so like I'm well aware that this is probably a simple question, and it's easy to do but for the life of me I CANNOT figure out why it seems impossible for me to recreate. So I'm trying to redesign a banner that's similar to the image I posted but I cannot get my gradient to fade like the image posted. How can I have the image still somewhat show up on the left but have a gradient ending towards the right. If anyone could help me figure this out or refer me to where this has possibly been asked already, I truly appreciate it.

Thanks

banner-6.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 15, 2017 May 15, 2017

Add a black Color Fill Layer, and put a gradient in its Layer Mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add a black Color Fill Layer, and put a gradient in its Layer Mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I will try this. I appreciate this very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2017 May 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So when I try to do the tips you told me to do, I keep getting these results. What am I missing?Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 11.21.25 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 16, 2017 May 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does your Layers Panel look something like this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2017 May 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hmmmm no mines is not coming out like that.. I wonder why

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you post a screenshot of your Layers panel, with the Fill layer active?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok so what I'm trying to do is create a banner just like the one at top and I'm not sure why mines doesn't add the gradient in the layer mask area when I select it. As you can see it makes a new gradient fill layer and from what you've showed me its not supposed to do that.

Screen Shot 2017-05-17 at 3.51.02 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to have the Layer Mask selected. Note the location of the white outline in my screenshot compared to yours. You should see a "Color Fill Mask" highlighted in the Channels panel. Then,just drag a Gradient out with the Gradient tool across the image, and it should go into the Fill Layer Mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2017 May 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really appreciate your help so far really do. Currently this is what I have from following your advice which is help me A LOT. as far as getting the gradient to go all the way across, what would I need to do? I  want it to cover up everything like the ideal image and not just some of it. I do not want anyone to be able to tell that there is two different images next to one another, I want it to appear seamless if that makes any sense.

Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 12.22.35 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will need at least one addition layer mask with a black-white gradient for one of the images to create a smooth transition between those two images. Apply the layer mask to one of those images.

saraip56931770  wrote

I really appreciate your help so far really do. Currently this is what I have from following your advice which is help me A LOT. as far as getting the gradient to go all the way across, what would I need to do? I  want it to cover up everything like the ideal image and not just some of it. I do not want anyone to be able to tell that there is two different images next to one another, I want it to appear seamless if that makes any sense.

Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 12.22.35 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2017 May 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a side note, it is understandable why the OP is having a rough time trying to recreate this effect: the UX design to control and create gradients is atrocious in Photoshop. It is in dire need of an update.

The lack of a in-view gradient widget that remains 'live' when editing a gradient in a layer mask (even when leaving layer mask editing), for example, would be a good start. Other image editors provide for this. Photoshop's gradients are archaic in use. A terrible user experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your image only occupies part of the width of your banner,  stop dragging out your gradient before you reach the right edge of the image

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for all the help you have given me man! I FINALLY figured it out and did it, you are awesome!Screen Shot 2017-05-20 at 1.28.28 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great to hear you got it working!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines