Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting different bleed depending on the page

Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2017 May 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I've just received the printing spec for this project. I'm not an expert in printing unfortunately. It's a 105x210mm guide.
I have to export it in single pages, they asked for 3mm bleed in the outside but not in the inside, (and in all sides for the cover).
My question is: how can I set this differences in the final pdf? Because the "inside" is sometimes on the right and sometimes on the left, depending on the page of course.

If I export 3mm of bleed on all the sides, I think the crop marks will be wrong for the insides, am I wrong?

I could export 1 pdf with all the pages that goes on the left (with 0mm bleed on the right because it will be the inside), and 1 pdf with all the pages that goes on the right (with 0mm bleed on the left side), but I'm sure there must be a correct way to solve this problem. Can you help? Thanks

left page.PNGright page.PNG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use bleed for managing outside settings and page margins for the inside? As this is essentially a guide anyway I'm not sure what you are getting at?

Crop marks will appear based on what the page dimensions have been set as....

2017-05-16_10-23-15.png2017-05-16_10-25-33.png

Or in a visual representation:

2017-05-16_10-27-48.png

What am I missing?

Best,

EW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also: with regards to the set up for a book why don't you use the facing pages option?

2017-05-16_10-35-11.png2017-05-16_10-36-06.png

This should allow you to mitigate your worry about the internal bleed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgive me if I'm covering basic stuff or it comes across as patronising.

I don't mean to be... I'm just not sure I completely understand the question?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I solved the problem: basically I thought that to do this properly I should have worked on single pages since the beginning. Instead I can work on double pages and then export the pdf in single pages and not into spreads. I forgot about it. Fortunately I did the project working on double pages.

In any case, thanks for all your information, they are a useful resume I can check in the future!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually I have an other question now: considering that the pages must have 0 mm of bleed in the inside, and the cover instead 3mm on all sides, is there a way to set this differences in the pdf? Otherwise I have export 2 different pdfs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm... Can you better explain? I'm still not sure what you mean by "inside" is this the left or right bleed? Or what are you referring to? Can you give me some screenshots?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With "inside" and "outside" I mean the left/right bleeds

I'm going to export the pdf with 3mm of bleed at the top, 3 at the bottom, 3 in the outside and 0 in the inside, as they asked.

However they also said that the cover of this guide must have instead 3mm on all sides.
Therefore do you think I have to export 2 different pdf (one for the pages and one for the cover) or is there an other solution?
Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

However they also said that the cover of this guide must have instead 3mm on all sides.

Therefore do you think I have to export 2 different pdf (one for the pages and one for the cover) or is there an other solution?

If the booklet is a "self-cover"—the cover is printed on the same paper stock as the interior—then usually you can include the front & back cover along with the interior text pages as one document. In that case the first and last pages (front and back cover) do not need interior bleeds (left for the cover, right for the back cover) because when the booklet gets imposed the first and last pages will be joined at the spine. Even if you provide a bleed it will have to removed when the booklet gets imposed.

If it is not a self-cover and the front and back cover is going to be printed separately, then the printer might be expecting a separate file for the cover/back cover. In that case they might want a spread layout for the cover file—spreads with the back cover on the left and the front cover on the right, and  the inside cover on the left and the back inside cover on the right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On an initial guess I would say the best way to do this would be to use Master pages... but how you set those up would depend on how you clarify your question to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The thing about bleed is that you want to cut through the page where there is image so that you don't see slivers of plain white paper if the cut is off a bit. This is noticeable on all edges except the spine, unless you have a spiral or wire binding. This is probably why they don't ask for a bleed at the spine. You may or may not want to have the appearance of bleed on 4 sides, but because the spine edge will be obscured by the binding, you only need for it to extend to the spine itself, and not bleed past. In fact, if it did bleed past the spine, it would show on the opposite page (if you are using facing pages).

As to the crop marks, I think you should expect to see crop marks on all 4 sides of each page, with the image bleeding off of the outside of the page but not going past the page edge at the spine. The printer will be imposing the pages into their own printer spreads, and could choose to align the crop marks at the spine and have the page edges abut. It would make sense for them to request no image past the page edge at the spine in that case. From a design perspective, you should decide if you want to, or are allowed to have image going past a predetermined margin at the spine. That's between you (as the designer) and the client you are designing for. I think the printer is just asking you to not go past the spine.

Then again, this is just a guess, so check with the printer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW these articles may be useful:

HELP: Inner Bleed but "Facing Pages" spread

The splitting pages work around that often gets posted is a solution looking for a problem. The only case where you would need a true interior bleed would be a binding like wire-o where the interior edge is trimmed (not folded) and visible.

Re: Image edges bleeding to next page when exporting

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks @rob_day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines